close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please update on legislation...

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by r2d4, Jan 31, 2008.

1. r2d4

r2d4
    Expand Collapse

I love the state of NC. I have found the cc laws here to be more on the restrictive side than were I used to live. What are the recent attepts to change this and who can I/WE call to support positive change? Example: (Carry in eating establishments that serve alcohal etc.)
    Thanks in advance for this information.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. magpie maniac

magpie maniac
    Expand Collapse

My wife, kids, and I moved to North Carolina in 2005 and we love it, too. We'll never leave this state.

That said, our concealed carry laws could stand to be relaxed a little bit. Last term, twin State House and Senate bills were introduced to allow concealed carry in restaurants. H831 was introduced by Rep. Hilton and Rep. Steen. S1094 was introduced by Sen. Brock. It didn't make it out of committee.

The basic text of the bills are:

Let's hope it makes some progress this spring. Call your legislators.

3. r2d4

r2d4
    Expand Collapse

I am in Catawba county not to far from Lincolnton. Who do I call? And are those the bills I need to ask them to support?

4. Glock-R1980

Glock-R1980
    Expand Collapse
    Captain OD

I e-mailed Hilton this week and got a response by his secretary: She stated that these bills would not be able to be re-introduced into the short session of 2008, which starts in May, but that Rep. Hilton was going to submit them again in 2009.

Why we have to wait that long is beyond me? I'm just glad we've got an elected official that is willing to introduce such legislation.

5. r2d4

r2d4
    Expand Collapse

Wow. That is a long time. I hate to think of a whole year without any movement. I will contact and support from my end. Is this a stonewall attempt?:steamed:

6. RichardB

RichardB
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Here is a link to Grass Roots NC which keeps on top of 2nd Amendment issues within our state. You should join and get on their mailing lists. http://www.grnc.org/

Richard

7. Bosko

Bosko
    Expand Collapse

I was finally able to pin down a member of Grassroots at a recent gun show over their and NRA's inability to get legislation through Raleigh, specifically an expanded Castle Doctrine and relaxation over carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol. They confirmed what I already know, having been told so "off the record" by a member of the "Raleigh Club". The current thinking of pro 2A legislators is that it would be better to put off introducing such legislation until they know they have the votes to get it out of committee, pass it in both houses and have the Governor sign it into law. The worst thing is to introduce it without the support of the movers and shakers and lose it on an open vote. The road back is often a steeper uphill climb. There are still special interest groups, that command loyalty within the state legislature, who have still not gotten over the passage of Concealed Carry - Handgun. They watch and wait.