close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PLEASE help with this friggin Outlook problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by trcubed, Jul 8, 2004.

1. trcubed

trcubed
    Expand Collapse

I've been trying to download my email with Outlook Express and keep getting this message...

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I'm no 'puter whiz, but thought maybe someone was trying to send a large file (I'm on dial-up) and the 'time-out' was too short. So, I set the server time-out to the max (5 minutes) and clicked the box for breaking up files larger that 16 Mb. Still, I get this message after about 1.5 minutes. I'm accustomed to 'slow,' but not 'no way.'

I left the office about 2 hours ago, checked my mail from there, and know my account is stillup and running.

Everything else seems to be working correctly. What else should I check?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. trcubed

trcubed
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'm working thru the data in both links now. I'll post later (maybe) how things went.

Thanks again...

3. trcubed

trcubed
    Expand Collapse

All I've determined is that this is definitely an Outlook problem. I've logged onto the ISP's website and checked/read/emptied my mail box from there.

I hate computers.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Step one.

Get rid of Outlook or Outlook Express.

Netscape and Mozilla both have email clients in them.

Eudora has a freeware version.

Pegasus email is rather good (wish they'd come out with a Linux version)

I don't know what the email client only is called with Mozilla, but you can get that alone as well.

DanH

5. trcubed

trcubed
    Expand Collapse

I think I'm headed that way, HerrGlock. I'm trying to convince myself that the step isn't as big as it looks.

When I got my mail thru the ISP's site, all messages downloaded fine and were deleted after reading/replying. Went back to OE, and THEN all was fine there as well. Worked perfectly with an empty mail box and with all messages received before I logged off. Worked fine this morning, too.

Maybe an individual message had a problem that my AV didn't like. Who knows...

6. ronin_asano

ronin_asano
    Expand Collapse