close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Platoon Leader talks to 4 people...

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Hal9mm, May 17, 2006.

1. Hal9mm

Hal9mm

Jun 9, 2002
    PSG and Squad Leaders, Squad Leaders talk to 2 people Alpha and Bravo Team Leaders.

Who do the team leaders talk to ?????

2. FDC

FDC

Apr 9, 2006
    Ummmm OOOOKKKKK? Please tell me you're joking.:freak:

3. Hal9mm

Hal9mm

Jun 9, 2002
    its kinda a lesson that a Platoon Sergeant told me and really is a good way of explaining running a platoon.

4. Hal9mm

Hal9mm

Jun 9, 2002
    I just wanted to see if anyone knew where I was going with it?

5. FDC

FDC

Apr 9, 2006
    Well heck, you can tell I'm not Infantry. I was about to tell you to google FM 7-8;) .

6. Hal9mm

Hal9mm

Jun 9, 2002
    OK the Team leader doesn't say a ****ing word he leads by example, team members follow the team leader and do as he does.

I just thought it was a good way of explaining how you should follow.

7. FDC

FDC

Apr 9, 2006
    Works for me, in my old school way of thinking.

8. Horned Toad

Horned Toad

Dec 16, 2005
    AZ
    So if the team leader gets shot, whats the team do, stand around with their thumb up their ass or get shot also?

9. FDC

FDC

Apr 9, 2006
    They stand around. ;)

Now on the modern battlefield where you can only fit 5 people in an 1114, and the team leader will have to take charge, won't he have to say something?

10. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

Apr 16, 2001
    In Him.
    My info is very, very, old, but here's what I remember. (I was an infantry LT.)

There are times when leaders talk to everybody below them, but at the same time work hard to encourage and develop the leadership below them.

Of course, you have this weird problem with a butter bar LT commanding (hopefully) some experienced professionals.

The platoon sergeant instructs the four squad leaders. In most cases, the weapons squad leader takes over for the PS, if needed. The chain of command between the squad leaders should also be designated, based on experience/senority, if both the PS and the weapons squad leader are gone.

Within a given squad, the chain of command should be designated, but I wonder how often it is.

I suppose that in most cases, the squad leader will directly talk to the whole squad, but should always look for chances to delegate real authority to the fire team leaders.

Back in the mi- 1970's, a lot of fire team leaders weren't that strong, I presume things are better nowadays.