close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Plated ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sjones, May 2, 2010.

1. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

Apr 26, 1999
    carrollton,tx
    Should you use the same data for lead as you do for plated?like rainier or berrys?Thanks. sj

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Plated falls right in between lead and jacketed. To be safe you can use lead data. But in reality I think it's closer to jacketed.

Just don't try to break any speed records and you should be fine.

3. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    Rainier plated bullets work for me at the lower lead velocities (9mm, .38 spl) and they work great at 1,260 fps too (.38 Super, near max jacketed data).

Good stuff Maynard.

Never shot Berry's.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    They act more like a lead bullet than jacketed, soft cores w/ very thin plating. Most are slightly oversize, like lead bullets. So it is prudent to use lead data for your starting point.

5. Just to add to the confusion, I asked this same question to the folks at Berry's. The reply I got stated that as long as you don't exceed 1200 fps it's ok to use load data for fmj with Berry's plated.

I typically will load Berry bullets using low to medium fmj loads. Never had a problem.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    Best bet with plated bullets is using a taper crimp.
    If you roll crimp too hard, you cut the plating layer & all kind of funny things happen !
    I personally use a 240 gr hp from Berry's in my .44 AutoMag, as it duplicates the original factory bullet shape. Over a chrono, they see 1300+fps, so if the plating stays intact, nothing bad happens. This round uses a very heavy taper crimp, but zero problems !
    RCBS offers a taper crimp die for .38 spl/.357 mag....the S&W model 52 target auto needs flush seated bullets w/taper crimp to function properly, so I know the dies exist, you might have to look a bit.

load safe !

uncle albert

7. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Nov 8, 2009
    It depends. With .45 that doesn't go very fast anyways I will load the same as FMJ. However, I worked up to that. Berry's has said that 800-900fps with a .45 is optimum. With a faster bullet I'd start lower and work up, just like usual.

8. dbarry

dbarry Silver Member

Feb 15, 2010
    the Buckeye state
    I shoot berry's almost exclusively in my reloads. Mainly in my 9mm, 45acp, and 45gap. Great bullet. Ditto on XD and fred's comments - go with lead for your starting point.

also -lots of folks complain about dirty powders - I found when I switched from lead to plated, I had no "dirty" loads. The lube on my lead bullets is where most of my dirt/soot came from.

9. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I reload Rainier in my 9mm and .45's the same way I was reloading regular jacketed bullets. No problems or issues.