close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

plated bullet prices???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by fredj338, Nov 27, 2011.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Is it just me or are plated bullets just getting ridiculously priced lately? I do not know how Berry's or Ranier stay in business.:whistling:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Rainier is a local company to me. They sponsor a few of our regular monthly matches. I'd truly like to support them better, but at my use rate their prices put me in the hole compared to buying FMJ from Precision Delta and just being patient for delivery.

3. atakawow

atakawow

Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Berry's 230gr RN is $141.00 per k. That is absurd pricing...

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Feb 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I've been usiing Xtreme plated bullets for some time now-cheaper than Berrys and most fmj.

5. GMAN12

GMAN12

Sep 7, 2009
    S. E. Mich.
    I used to use x-treme but they got expensive paying shipping.

6. Just looked at X-Treme website... 115gr 9mm X-Treme bullets without shipping are more expensive than Precision Delta shipped. 45 caliber is a better deal, but shipping costs will still tip the scales toward Precision Delta.

40S&W could be a good deal though. Anyone knows how much X-Treme charges for shipping?

7. LRN.

I haven't ordered plated pistol bullets in a while. And tempted to ask Santa for some casting equipment this year.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Feb 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Xtreme packs 3-500 round boxes in a medium priority box and that normally runs $11-$12. They have a PDF file listed on their website. I think they said they could put 3000 pcs. of 9mm in a medium box- I'm going to find out next week. They also will sell 500 pcs. for 1/2 the 1000 pc. price- not charge a premium. I just ordered 500 147gr 9mm and 1000 185gr 45 last week and it cost about $147 shipped and I got it the order in 3 days.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Exactly my point. I have been around to maybe 6 diff manuf, all are stupidly expensive when compared to PD jacketed or even MG. I don't see how they stay in business selling a product of lesser quality for more money.:dunno: I shoot mostly lead, but was looking for some bullets for a friend that won't shoot the nasty silver stuff.:whistling:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  10. Yea, no kidding. I used to be a big Berry's fan until their prices went nuts a few years ago. I still load their 115g 9mm, but only buy when I catch it on sale.

11. sig2009

sig2009

May 3, 2005
    I stopped buying from Berrys and Rainier when they became more expensive than PD. How do they still stay in business? People don't know PD exists.

12. ursoboostd

ursoboostd

Jun 30, 2009
    Florence, Ky
  13. oneofthose

oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    My last bulk order was FMJ's from Montana Gold, about 6 months ago. Price was very competitive at that time, not sure where they are now.

14. TX Archer

TX Archer

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Are plated bullets really lesser quality or are you just making a point? If so, in what way? I've only loaded PD so far because you fellas tipped me off to the good prices. Thanks for that.

15. oneofthose

oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    Just my opinion, plated bullets are different that fmj, but I don't think the differences matter that much for most pistol loads.

I believe the plating is softer and thinner than than a jacket. I had some plated bullets, frontier I think, that the rifling in my springfield 9mm 1911 would cut through the plating, the plating would separete from the lead core, resulting in keyholes, flyers and in general poor accuracy. The same bullets gave me no troubles in my G19.

I can't confirm, but I have read that the plating can also be uneven. The bullet will still be round, but the lead core may not be "centered" inside, resulting in an unstable and less acurate bullet.

It would also seem to me that a soft bullet with soft plating may not be well suited to max loads.

I used to shoot all fmj. Then plated bullets got my attention, because of their price, and I had good luck with them overall. Now, good plated bullets are just as much as fmj, so I'm back to fmj.

16. I recently loaded up 500 9mm rounds using 124Gr. Precision Delta FMJ. The overall length was set at 1.110". After I loaded them, I found variations in OAL ranging from 1.090 - 1.120" I did not touch my seating die. All loads done on a Dillon Square deal B.
    Out of curiosity, I checked some loads that were put together with Berry's 124 gr. RN. They were also set at 1.110" OAL. Most of the rounds made with Berry's bullets were right at 1.110"OAL very few varied, and only slightly.
    I cannot account for the difference.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  17. noylj

noylj

Jul 20, 2010
    Never understood the attraction of plated bullets.
    In the market today, they cost as much or more than jacketed bullets from Montana Gold or Precision Delta.
    I think that the cost is escalating as OSHA tightens regulations on plating operations and disposal of waste.
    There was a time about 4-5 years ago when plated bullets were hard to find due to manufacturers being faced with new regulations they had to scramble to meet.
    OSHA and EPA do not do the economic analysis they are legally required to do and they see their long term employment to be based on new and tighter regulations.

18. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Well not so much lesser qualitry but NOT a FMJ. Plated are soft lead cores w/ very, very thin plating. So thin that slight over crimping breaks the plating & accuracy is ruined. Fine for plinkrs when they were less than most jacketed, but case orders form PD or MG are cheaper & real jacketed, go fast & not delicate bullets.:dunno:

19. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Its probably the increasing requirements of indoor ranges that make plated bullets as popular as they are, which supports the price differential.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011