close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Plate Carriers!!??

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by cotton617, Aug 13, 2012.

1. cotton617

cotton617

Jul 28, 2012
    Alright, hopefully this is the right section for this...Anways, I'm interested in purchasing a plate carrier and there are many options that I have come across. To help you help me I will tell you what I am looking for.

I would like a PC that is lightweight and comfortable, without sacrificing structural quality. I will be carrying M4 mags and maybe a couple other GP pouches. I will not need room for pistol mags as I prefer to keep those on my waist. Also Multicam and back protection are a must. I do not need tons of pouches, again I am trying to preserve comfort and mobility and limit bulk. The intended purpose for this PC at the moment is general preparedness (defense against general small arms fire) but I am currently in the Army ROTC program and will be contracting as a 2LT within the next year so this PC might have the possibility of seeing combat. If it helps at all I am 5'10 165lbs.

The PC's I have been looking at:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tact-fl-platecarrier.html
    Tactical Tailor Fight Light PC

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/USP00400066.aspx
    US Palm ASP-C

http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Plate-Carrier-p/pig.502.htm
    PIG Plate Carrier

http://www.skdtac.com/Mayflower-Assa...-p/mfr.512.htm
    Mayflower Assault PC

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-CPCD0...™-(cpc)
    Crye Cage PC

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-BLC04...™-(jpc)
    Crye Jumpable PC

What are the main differences of these PC's? Which will suit me best? I am also a bit confused on which of these do and do not come with armor already? For the ones that do not, where can I buy the armor? Also what is the main difference between level III and level IV and what would be better for me?

I would like to stay under $700 all said and done (PC, Armor, Pouches) But if there are recommendations for something significantly better for more money I would obviously consider.

Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Those are all good carriers but I would stay away from the Palm since I don't think it will be the best choice for mil. operations. You may also want to look at Paraclete. There are websites such as greygrouptraining.com and atsgear.com and skdtac.com that have a good selection.

I would not worry about purchasing armor since that will be provided by Uncle Sugar unless you just want some for your personnal use. If that is the case you will most likely need to adjust your budget. Perhaps double it or more.

If you do not need armor and PC for personnal use then the Mil. will most likely be providing you with a KDH PC.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I went with a Banshee Carrier and Gamma plates...you can make that setup for well under $500...possibly under $350-$400 IIRC. I also got free side plates because the guy screwed up my order somehow.

But that setup gives you .308/7.62 Nato (or is it 30-06)...but yeah....pretty decent protection for not a lot of money.

A better place to talk shop for this would be lightfighter.com if you are millitary. If not, ARF.com has a nice gear forum.

Good luck!

-Emt1581

4. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    Contracting? You are in a college ROTC program don't you owe the Military a minimum of 5 years active duty?

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

5. I think he means the contract between him and Uncle Sam.

6. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    I know. I just never heard it phrased quite that way before.

7. cotton617

cotton617

Jul 28, 2012
    I will be signing an 8 year contract next December in order to commision as a 2LT.

8. cotton617

cotton617

Jul 28, 2012
    Also expatman, the Crye JPC is $250 (w/o armor) but there platebag inserts are $150 each...if I am looking at the correct products. That would put me around $600 all said and done.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-INSPS000LG0/Platebag-Soft-Armor-Insert

Now I'm getting abit confused with the armor side of things...do I need to buy a hard armor plate for any of those vests and then buy soft armor to back it? Or just one or the other?

9. One usually uses hard plates in conjunction with (ICW) soft armor. If you are not using full BALCS or SPEAR cut soft armor then you usually need plate backers which are just soft armor panels designed/cut to the shape of the particular shape/cut of plate you are using.

There are also stand alone plates. Many people use plate backers with them as well.

What you need to do since I am not confident enough in my knowledge base to go more in depth with you is to call someone like Greygrouptraining.com (they can be very helpful. I have worked with the owner; great guy.) or hop on over to www.lightfighter.net and get some more knowledgeable people to assist you. This is not something you want to get wrong.

Myself, I use Army type ESAPI plates in a Diamindback Tacticl Advanced Warrior Fast Attack Plate Carrier. It comes with sewn in soft armor behind the plate pocket that acts as a plate backer.

I am still confused as to why you want to buy this stuff yourself if Uncle Sugar will be issueing it all to you anyway. Just does not compute in my dial up modem world. At the very least wait until you get the stuff issued and then you will have a chance to educate yourself first hand. Either way it is up to you. I am just trying to help.

10. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Has anyone tried the TAG plate carrier?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  11. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero

Sep 3, 2007
    MT
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. I run a TAG Banshee with Level 4 for work.

But the harsh reality of life is that you would waste money for a setup. You are better with soft body armor and a quality carrier for long term work. Stay light and mobile, not weighed down.

13. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    I would argue the opposite. Most civilians have no need for armor, hard or soft, in their day to day lives. But when they do need it they need the most protection possible for a short period. Comfort isn't as much of an issue as they won't be working in it long term.

Bump in the night? Throw on the plates grab the AR and investigate. Riot outside? I want plates. Hurricane? I'm not going to go out into a violent situation to clear trees, they can wait till the zombies pass, or whatever.

Cops need to get stuff done in an elevated threat environment on a daily basis. That's why it makes sense for them to trade the protection of plates for the comfort of Kevlar.

I think a good set of steel Level 3 plates makes the most sense for a civilian. It provides the most protection, has no lifespan, won't rot, isn't fragile like ceramic, provides multi-hit protection (unlike most ceramic), and is way cheaper.

14. TactiCool

TactiCool

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast LA.
    I agree on all points above, and I run the same setup, with lv. 3 steelies front and back, no backers or inserts.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Anymore, with the advances in plates, I think most people would be much better off with a pair of ceramic/hybrid or poly plates, not steel.

Steel is heavy, and the only real up side, is that its tough. The downside being, its heavy, and depending upon the plate, it doesn't always offer protection against some very common threats.

Where as the ceramics/poly/hybrids are no where near as fragile as people seem to think, and are lighter to much lighter, generally offer better protection, and can be found in a wider selection of cuts, to find one that fits you.

16. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Got links to good hybrids? I wound up with DBT Lv. III steels, but this was several years back. They were only a pound or so heavier than ceramic at the time and about a third of the cost.

17. TactiCool

TactiCool

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast LA.
    Which threats are those? My plates are NIJ III, but have been independantly tested to stop 6+ hits of M855 at 3,300+ fps in the same spot. I can't imagine too many other types of plate that could do that.

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

You need to do some research on the DBT lv III's, as they were found to not be NIJ compliant, and not actually LV III in some cases.

Yours may be one of the effected ones, or may not be, I don't remember enough about what were and weren't but I'd advise looking.

As for hybrids, currently, I think the best on the market is the AMI TAC3S

http://www.armoredmobility.com/products_bodyarmor.php

I know of several tests of that plate, at least two involving as many as 40 rounds, and I don't know of a single plate that has been tested to failure, against any of its rated threats.

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

What brand do you have? Simply being Level III, doesn't mean much. And if its a 6.5mm plate of AR500 steel, as many are, you may not be protected against all 5.56 threats.

Some of the steel plates on the market, are not always capable of stopping 55 gr M193, or the LeMas rounds, as when penetrating steel, velocity, is often the key, not weight.

http://www.armoredmobility.com/products_tacst.php

Similarly, some of the poly plates on the market, will stop very fast rounds, like M-193, but M855, will sail right through.

20. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    This is exactly why I'm looking for one.