Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Plain clothes holster opinions.....

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by indigent, Oct 12, 2012.

1. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005

Got word this week that each patrolman will work with CID for 2 days every 8 weeks......

This means I've got to find a decent (read as not too expensive) plain clothes holster for my MC Operator (without the TLR-1). I've got a Serpa for it that I occasionally wear for class, but here as of late, I've not been too happy w/ it.

Any suggestions.......
  2. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    My favorite is my Milt Sparks VM II, but they are not cheap. If money is an object like you say, the COMPTAC MTAC IWB holsters are comfortable and priced right.

3. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

Jan 19, 2007
    don't know what Mc operator is but I use a 5.11 clip on iwb and I love it.

Only about 30 bucks for it, good quality.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  4. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Holsters for railed 1911s can be tough. Galco has a couple of options. I have a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and do not particularly care for it. They compensate for potential damage by the rail to the leather by not stitching the last inch and a half of the bottom of the holster together. It gets damaged this way.
  5. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    I'm finding this to be true....

I guess if push comes to shove, I'll just suck it up and use the Serpa.....
  6. GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    Ditto. Kydex holster makers may be your best bet for something rail friendly. I'd look at Comp Tac as there lead times are pretty quick if you're in a pinch for time.

Do you need a retention device? This might make it a little harder...
  7. If you're looking for IWB the CompTac MTAC is awesome.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile
  8. LT642

Oct 19, 2008
    I would take a look at the Safariland ALS, I think the model is 6378. This is a paddle holster and it is rock solid. The problem I have with pancake or IWB holsters in the issue of reholstering one handed. Plus, with the ALS feature it offers some retention value, I use this holster for duty and really like it. As I recall they run around $38 dollars, +/-.

Good luck and stay safe.
  9. Are you looking for IWB, paddle, or belt?

As a fellow 1911 guy I have both the Comp Tac MTAC and a Crossbreed supertuck. I find the supertuck to be more comfortable, mostly due to the belt clips being wider.

For an reasonably priced paddle holster, look at safariland. I can't think of the model number at the moment, but they have an ALS holster that I would recommend if you are carrying in the open since it has some retention.
  10. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
  11. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    I needed a solid holster this year since I had five weeks of class. I bought the snap loop holster, with a thumb break, for my P226 and have been very happy with it.

It is sturdy but with the snap loops you can take it off instead of having to take off your belt. If memory serves, it was $75 shipped with all my options.

found this company
  12. Has Safariland fixed the issues with the ALS, I know few years back they had issues.
  13. 11A

Nov 28, 2011
    The issue I have with my Safariland ALS is that lots too bulky to put under a button up shirt without it being obvious that I am concealing something. I have a Comp-Tac MTAC and love it for IWB. For OWB I had a holster molded by a local shop that does quality work.
  14. merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    We are required to wear ours OWB (belt/paddle) and not IWB. I use the Safariland ALS holster. Others wear the Serpa, but I like the retention better in the Safariland.
  15. I haven't had any issues with their off duty stuff or their duty ALS system. I'm also a firearms instructor for a regional program and haven't seen anything personally. I've seen several issues with blackhawk holsters and will never use them.
  16. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    I'd prefer OWB. I use the ALS for my duty holster now so that may be an option.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  17. FL-obiwan

Feb 11, 2005
    +1 for the Don Hume 721. I have two - one for a Beretta 96 and one for a H&K P2000. I think the whole IWB thing is overblown. If you have a decent OWB holster and BELT as well as a well thought out covering garment you're good to go. I have carried the above mentioned guns on and off duty and have never had a problem. In fact the H&K is my constant carry gun 99% of the time.
  18. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I loved my Safariland 6378.. Looks decent, still has security, clean draw.. Great holster..
  19. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Want me to send you one of mine to use?

I have a COM kydex from my pro. It'll work. Lefty, railed, paddle OWB.
  20. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox