close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pivot pin?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jerry, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    Ok all you AR-15 gurus. I have 70’s vintage colt. The pivot pin is the type with a retaining screw in the left end of the pivot pin. The screw must be removed to push the pin out. I’ve ordered a push button type, but then started thinking. I’ll have to completely remove it to separate upper and lower rather than it staying in the right-hand “ear” of the lower like the take down pin does. Right? Also, since the rifle doesn’t have a detent pin (in right the ear of the lower) I couldn’t use a “push-pin” like some ARs are equipped with right? :dunno:

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Ritght.

Unless you drill the receiver for a detent spring & pin.

3. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

You probably shouldn't go anywhere near it with a drill. :shocked:

4. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

I would leave it just as it is,.....mut many old Colts have been drilled for a
    detent pin.

5. Jerry

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    Thanks!

I agree!

Actually after looking at it my thought was… I could drill it and install a detent pin and spring. I’m capable and have the tools, i.e. drill press with vice, to do it. However, I really don’t want to do anything that can’t be returned to original. I’ll live with the push pin release pivot pin. :supergrin:

6. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    That would be my choice if it were my lower receiver.

7. Jerry

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    I wanted a muzzle brake on my 70s vintage Remington 700 30 06. I agonized over it for weeks. I finally decided to do it. I really like the brake but still hate the fact that I had to “destroy” the original barrel. I'm weird like that. :supergrin: