close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pistol whipping with Glock

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Spring Hill Glocker, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Spring Hill Glocker

Spring Hill Glocker

Jul 21, 2012
    florida
    I know this sounds odd but in a situation where pistol whipping someone would be a better or last resort choice then using deadly force with your firearm, how do you do it?
    Can it be done with a Glock or is it too light and risk of damage to frame? This is a serious question. After firearm is out of ammo or somehow becomes too damaged to fire how can it be used as a self defense tool. Youtube links, or articles appreciated.

SHG

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida
    With all due respect; taking a perfectly good handgun and using it as a club makes little sense. If the situation has deteriorated to the point where drawing the firearm is legally justified, then it has reached the point where its designed useage could be appropriate.

Using that handgun as a club is fraught with peril because (1) Smack the guy with it and you may loose your grip on the gun. It now lands on the ground and you & the BG may have to fight for control of a handgun you should not have lost control of, and (2) If you whack 'em in the head, you may find hair and flesh parts coating the gun and impeding it's proper function should it's use then be recquired, or the gun may in some other way be damaged to the extent that it will not function.

Lastly... in a court with Judges & Attorneys & Prosecutors... one of them is going to ask WHY... if the situation was sufficient for you to draw & display your firearm... did you not fire it, and instead just beat someone about the head & shoulders with it. "Pistol whipping" carries an ugly conotation in the legal system. To some,(read that to be DA) it might conotate images of one displaying the handgun in a threatening manner when no need for its use in legal self defense was present, and then commiting an assault with it.

Just a thought... but if the situation deteriorates to the point where your CCW has to be drawn... using it to pistol whip is not wise. Just MHO.

3. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    A truly excellent and thoughtful second post.

This is why you need a big weaponlight with the biggest possible ultra tactical crenulated strike bezel:
    [​IMG]

4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I agree. Post #2 is good.

Let's keep the comments at that high level, please.

Please pardon the larger font, but some seem to have missed my request.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  5. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Had to take a peek here.

Carry on!

:cool:

6. Jagged

Jagged

Jan 3, 2012
    SWVA
    How about building off of the OP's 'for instance'

Say you felt that not carrying a spare magazine was your style, and you just dumped your entire magazine in an instinctual reaction (too much time practicing mag dumps at the range perhaps?).

If things go fisticuffs after a judicious application of deadly force, I'm going to try to find something a little more applicable as a bludgeon. Flashlight, wrench, bat, broomhandle, etc.

Ideally it wouldn't come down to that, I would much rather beat feet and avoid the situation.

7. It would all depend on the technique used to do the pistol whipping.

8. beatcop

beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    The magazine can pop out if used in that manner. Bad idea all the way around.

9. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    I'm not sure that I would "whip" the pistol, but I would drive the muzzle into some poor bastard's face if I had to. As above, this would only be done as a last resort and not in lieu of shooting.

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    If I have run out of ammo I will use my handgun as a club and would not care at all about any potential damage. Assuming it is the best club I have. If I survive the event I will happily buy another one. It will be evidence either way and not going home with me.

I can't think of a circumstance I would use it as a club if I have ammo. Striking someone in the head with a tool / hard object is deadly force in most states is my guess so if deadly force is warranted shooting would be more efficient.

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Firearms as impact weapons are not automatically wrong.

Simplest/fastest answer is to muzzle thump the other guy: use the muzzle to jab, treating it as an extention of your fist. There have even been muzzle devices made to allow doing this more efficiently. The weaponlight pictured above is a similar solution.

Swinging the pistol is a generally poor approach, unless you change your grip and hold the gun across your palm like a brick.

As to when...not every pistol is a working firearm. Running dry or having a malfunction and still being in a close fight is no time to holster or reload. And, sometimes lethal force just isn't needed, even though drawing the weapon is wholly justified.

12. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I pistol-whip with my Glocks as a last resort. I really like to do my pistol-whipping with my 1911's, as they are heavier and do more damage, especially when swung from my wheelchair.

This is the most stupid thread I have seen on GT in a long time.

I doubt the OP has ever even thought about pistol-whipping anyone, much less doing it. What a wanna-be.

13. I'm not a lawyer, but I would say that using a pistol as a club is no different than as a firearm, legally speaking. If one was arrested for this, one would still likely be charged with Agg. Assault and Felony with a Firearm.

So, I would say that the circumstances that would justify a self-defense pistol-whipping, would also justify a self-defense shooting. I can only see a narrow sliver of circumstance where I would employ my pistol as a club.

What I see as more likely is the pistol whip's cousin, the butt stroke. If I'm armed with a home defense shotgun and the attacker is in too close to bring my muzzle on target, I might be able to strike the bad guy with the stock to gain a little distance, but this is only a fraction more likely than the pistol whip scenario.

14. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    My advice is skip the pistol whip thinking and sign up for some martial arts. You have two hands at the end of your arms, elbows, etc. These objects make great weapons. A simple palm strike to the nose is easy to master and quite effective. If you want to get more advanced, there are thousands of other moves as well.

And yes, legally, I think using your hands looks a lot better than pistol whipping someone.

Really, if you think hand to hand combat is possible, you should look into at least learning the basics. Learning how to pistol whip someone wouldn't make my top 200 attack moves.

15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I can think of very few circumstances where the thought would cross my mind to draw my weapon and revert to pistol whipping instead. Not saying there is no situation. If I somehow needed to do it, I'd rather drive the side of the slide holding the gun from the side like a rock with no finger in the trigger guard and muzzle pointed away from me. Basically beating with a metal rock.

16. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    If you have to draw, you just cap 'em. /thread

17. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Dang it...what cover is your avatar from again?

18. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    I'm reminded of a certain video posted here on GT that showed a Glock in a pillowcase being wielded as a "whipping" weapon.

:rofl::rofl::tongueout:

19. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Blink 182, Enema of the State. :wavey:

20. I am issued a G17 and we are trained to "muzzel thump/muzzel strike" if the situation warrents. I have never seen one break during training. In training we wear the appropriate protective gear of course. I can tell you that if the situation called for it and you used your Glock to muzzel strike someone it can be very effective. I know it rings my bell every time and that is with the propper gear to protect myself.