close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pistol purchase permits "rant"

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by tim12232, Apr 26, 2012.

1. tim12232

tim12232
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero

So let me vent a little bit here about my NC pistol purchase permit headaches. Here in NC to purchase a handgun, you must go to the sheriff and apply for the permit to purchase, you pay 5 dollars for every petit you want and are told that due to volume they can take up to 30 days!!!!! I and others most of the time p into the sheriffs office dip off the application and will have a notification in the mail within a week that there ready fr pick up.
    I have my shield on layaway and is ready to picked up but the damn sheriff wont do my permit until the 30th day!!!!
    Any NC folks here that have had similar headaches withy mecklenburg sheriff taking his sweet time while you as a law abiding citizen wait for his blessing?

End rant,
    Tim

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. tim12232

tim12232
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero

Sorry for spelling....iPhone sucks sometimes

3. 4TS&W

4TS&W
    Expand Collapse
    2A RKBA 4EVER

So get a ccw. Then you don't have to get the purchase permits..

4. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, here in Nebraska the process is fairly simple. You need to renew every three-years, taking about fifteen-minutes and $5.00 to do so. You receive it in about a week. If you have a CCW from the state, it's even easier to purchase a handgun.

5. 4TS&W

4TS&W
    Expand Collapse
    2A RKBA 4EVER

Have you joined GRNC and the NRA in order to change things?

6. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy
    Expand Collapse
    Legal & Proper

you've located the elephant in the room.

best of luck to you and your purchase.

7. 4TS&W

4TS&W
    Expand Collapse
    2A RKBA 4EVER

I should say, I felt your pain... I lived in Char-Meck, and I went with the ccw. (and joined NRA/GRNC) I'm not trying to be critical, I'm trying to help you see that there are options to try and change things for the better if you like, permanently, as well as find a short term solution..

8. tim12232

tim12232
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero

I have a VA nonresident and really didn't see the benefit at the time to get a NC CHP. I am an NRA memebr but not GRNC, I know that things have come up to get rid of the ppp process but never get passed. At least we have castle doctrine now!

9. Black Dog Coffee

Black Dog Coffee
    Expand Collapse

Well, if you pee'd in his dip he's probably pretty ticked off at you!

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

There. Wanted to fix that for you.

11. cphilip

cphilip
    Expand Collapse

And even simpler here in SC... we don't need no permits... :tongueout:

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Yup. And just a few years ago, we did away with the "one handgun a month law".

Now, if we could just carry into a decent restaurant...:whistling:

13. cphilip

cphilip
    Expand Collapse

Amen...

14. Caver 60

Caver 60
    Expand Collapse

Very glad MO got rid of that stupid law about 7 or 8 years ago.

The KKK got that law implemented in MO. Back then a permit cost 50 cents. If your skin color was correct you got your permit. By the time they got rid of the law, the permit cost 10 bucks, but the skin color didn't matter anymore.

Thats' the history behind many of these stupid laws from way back when.

15. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

You got it lucky. In NJ you apply for the permit, no more then 5 at a time, pay your fees(which can be pricey) then wait for the permits to be delivered to pick them up(which can be up to 3-6 months although state law says 30 days). The permits expire in 3 months(but you can extend them for another 3 months by paying a fee), and you are limited to one handgun per month.

16. tim12232

tim12232
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero

:wow: 3-6 months even with a 30 day limit? how does that work?

Our are good for 5 years, but like others have said, it part of Jim Crowe laws that are racially based.

If I didnt have mine within the 30 day limit the state gives, I would be at the Sheriffs office until they printed them up!
    The worst part is they themselves use the NICS check that any gunshop would use.

17. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

In CA, I had to wait 10 days for the first new gun and 30 days for an additional new gun. Used guns can be every 10 days but I had to wait 70 days for 3 Glocks I bought at a gun show several years back. Now in WA with my carry permit I can buy and pick up same day and as many as I want/can afford. Each state has its own bs/hoops. I am for the background checks but not the long waits unless there some issue.

:50cal:

18. Stuntman22

Stuntman22
    Expand Collapse
    Retired

It depends how you look at it. I would consider it preety good. If you really want to jump through hoops, move to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey Comrade....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC2iu3CTPc"]The Never-ending Saga of Firearms Ownership in New Jersey - Full Hi-Res version - YouTube[/ame]

19. BamaBud

BamaBud
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Purchase Permit? We don't need no stinkin' permit!

Oh wait, I do need one. That's why I buy when my wife is out of town!

Once it's in the safe, she doesn't know how many I bought! (Except she did ask when I bought another Fort Knox!)

20. Jerry

Jerry
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

I love rants. It makes me feel better too.

The infringements we That People put up with AMAZES me. But then, in a socity that has largely become dependent on the government for everything the government can demand anything it dame well pleases.

And what exactly are these permits supposed to do stop criminals form obtaining guns? :rofl:

My money is on, it’s all about the money and control of honorable men. :steamed:

We don’t need permits here. I have a CCW, a City Commission, a unique name and a one of a kind SS # yet I have a hold put on my purchase every time I purchase a firearm. Seems I must have opened my mouth once too often and made some government list. I don’t know for sure because every government DRONE I’ve spoken with says they don’t know and even if they did they can’t give me any information and can’t tell me who can or where to go to find out. I’m told I can fill out a FBI form, send it in with a picture and fingerprints and get a #, which in turn can be given to the INSTANT Background Check DRONE which MAY allow me to walk out with my purchase. Since I have what I want and very rarely make any new purchases now-a-days F-um.

Ps. I had so many that I began giving them to homeless people and dang if I didn’t just give away the last one. :rofl: