Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Pistol Malfunction almost gets someone killed...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Feb 12, 2012.

1. rallenal

Jan 29, 2012
    Why did the officer's gun fire once and then drop the mag? Improperly seated mag to begin with or someone hit the release during the struggle or something else? You can't tell from the story. If it was something else, it would be good to know.
  2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    rallenal, welcome to GT.

That's a good question. I'm going to make it a separate thread so we don't get sidetracked here.

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Can't wait to see what the jury returns.
  4. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    This is why I took the extended controls off my Glock 34. If it's a little harder for me to hit when I need to hit it.. it's a lot harder to hit it when I don't need to.
  5. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Wow that's a tough situation all the way around. Not sure how I'd call it if I was on the jury?
  6. HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    Having a revolver would have prevented this but the other guy would have been shot, possibly dead!
  7. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified

Dec 26, 2008
    The mag probably wasn't seated. It's easy to bump the mag release on your pistol, depending on the holster.
  8. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

This is another strong case on why to carry at least one spare mag. I personally carry two, for exactly this reason. The spare ammo never hurts either.

If the mag release did not break in some way, then it means it was accidentally depressed and dropped the officer's ammo to the pavement.

For those folks who do not carry a spare mag, think about whether or not you would have wanted to spend time crawling around on the ground to find the one you just lost, or if being able to draw another from your belt and get the gun back into action would have been faster and safer.