close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pistol Grip or No?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by youngbuck, Jan 9, 2012.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    I used to have a Mossberg 590 with Surefire light, side shell holder, knoxx stock, and door breacher barrel. Unfortunately I sold it for another pistol but have been looking at getting another one. I am just wondering if I should get a standard stock or a collapsable/pistol grip style?

This will be an HD gun and I would like to add another Surefire light and a Mesa Tactical sure shell holder so I could possibly mount a small optic to it

2. Lugi

Lugi

Nov 23, 2006
    Standard stock....nice simple and solid.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Shoulder stock with pistol grip? Sure. Pistol grip ONLY stock? No.

4. Lugi

Lugi

Nov 23, 2006
    I agree....

[​IMG]

Speed feed stock.

5. I have a 870 Express "Tactical" by my bed with a straight stock. That said you could argue that a pistol grip is harder to pull out of your hand by a home invader. My 0.02.

6. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    Perhaps I should clarify, I dont want a straight pistol grip. I mean a pistol grip with shoulder stock

7. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
    This.

8. I replaced the standard buttstock that came on my Mossberg 930 SPX with the Choate Mark V pistol grip style buttstock. I feel like I have better control of the gun when tactical reloading, and my follow up shots get on target faster. I like the way the gun swings into my shoulder and I feel like the recoil is slightly reduced because of the pistol grip especally on my 870.

9. 513GunGuy

513GunGuy

Dec 27, 2011
    I would go standard stock just for ease of use.

10. I love stocks with pistol grips but even I would not put one on a Mossberg due to its safety location. That is probably why I do not own a Mossberg.

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I have to agree with this. It's the reason I use straight a straight stock, not a pistol grip stock.

12. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    If it fits you. They don't fit me. Even the 12" lop was uncomfortable. I had to use a knoxx stock. Now it fits me & I use it well.

And the safety I do not care about. My finger is the safety. Just like a Glock.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  13. Glock411

Glock411

Mar 22, 2007
    Utah
    I have 6 shotguns with the pistol grip, 2 are Mossberg crusiers (no comment), 2 Factory Benelli's M1 and M2 with their factory stock, (They are awesome) I have 2 870's with Mesa Tactical AR stock and Goodies one is the High and one Low, They are also incredible a little pricey but totally worth it. The great thing about Mesa Tactical stock it is super quality and it is adjustable to fit different people and what you maybe wearing.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  14. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

Jan 24, 2008
    NE Ohio
  15. Lugi

Lugi

Nov 23, 2006
    Well.....like I first said then.

16. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I've used shotguns in practical matches, and lots of HD/SD practice based upon that. I definately prefer a PG shoulder stock. It makes reloading easier, along with anything else that you need to do with only one hand on the gun. It would aid gun retention as well, if that is a concern, I'd imagine.

17. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Actually opposite.

18. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    How so?

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Any opponent who has hold of the other end of the shotgun and levers back, jams your thumb joint in the juncture between grip and trigger guard.
    You have two choices:
    - let it go,
    - have thumb torn out of the socket.
    You still have a slight chance of relocating your hand behind the pistol grip to get better position for retention, but you will have to let it go first anyway (not good at all with the guy holding your shotgun on the other end) and be blessed with excellent reflexes.
    With the standard stock your hand is in much stronger position to resist that movement.
    The worst stock to have in terms of weapon's retention is the pistol grip only.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012