close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pistol Grip Buttstock

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by tarmac, Feb 13, 2010.

1. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

You shoot a rifle and a shotgun differently. Thus what works well for a rifle is not automatically what works well for a shotgun. And it wasn't that they had problems because of a pistol grip, it was that they performed better with a standard stock for most exercises.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

And you still find that to be true with the occupation that uses the fighting shotgun the most these days, law enforcement. As a percentage, very few patrol shotguns will have a pistol grip.

3. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler
    Expand Collapse

Every one of our patrol shotguns has a pistol grip. Wouldn't go back. Between additional cost and fitting in traditional cruiser mounts, I can see why some would forego the functionality.

4. dualG22s

dualG22s
    Expand Collapse

hardly anyone uses a SG in LE. Maybe for lesslethal rounds, but a SG is almost stupid for anything policing wise. Just my internet opinion.

5. 22highcaps

22highcaps
    Expand Collapse

I have to wonder if that was because they just weren't used to the pistol grip or if the exercises had not been updated for the pistol grip.

6. L-2

L-2
    Expand Collapse

deleted

#26 L-2, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. tarmac

tarmac
    Expand Collapse

Good advice, thank you

8. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

I like both pistol grip stocks and standard stocks. I own both a pistol gripped 930 SPX (semiauto) and a standard stock 590 (pump).

9. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

your internet opinion is in conflict with the facts. The shotgun is still a popular weapon among LEOs, and not just for less lethal ammo. I'd even be willing to bet a fair amount that there are more shotguns in LE cars than rifles these days, but I don't know how we would verify it.

10. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Umm, why would you "update" an exercise for the pistol grip? Exercises test capability to use the firearm, and the different types of equipment get to see how they compare to other pieces of equipment. And when one is conducting a class there is a basic consideration that there is a somewhat simiklar level of training based on the type of instruction. I can't see any reason to think that shooters with regular stocks would be more used to them than those with pistol grip stocks. If thta is true, though, it would seem to suggest one should stay with the regular stock.

11. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

Count me in the hardly anyone department.

bc

12. 22highcaps

22highcaps
    Expand Collapse

I do not mean to nitpick here but I consider an exercise to be a practice drill in the use of a fiream. Qualifications are where one is tested. To put it another way an exercise is what you do develop skill and qualification is where you demonstrate it. If you haven't performed an exercise with a piece of equipment before you may not do well at first but that doesn't mean you give up.

Back to the subject at hand certain things (such as retention) are done differently. If one tries to apply conventional stock techniques to a pistol grip full stock then of course the conventional stock will seem superior.

I do not think people should let good stand in the way of better.

#32 22highcaps, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  13. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Also not to nitpick, but having been in the training business for over 30 years one can (and often should) test a variety of issues while doing exercises. Qualification simply looks at if a certain minimum standard has been met.
    And if one is using training to figure out what works best irregardless of technique then one can identify strengths and weaknesses of various designs and what is superior will come out on top.
    Agreed. Of course new does not mean better. What is better for a highly trained individual wearing heavy body armor and using a 14" barrelled gun won't necessarily be better for the typically low-trained person with a 20" tube gun and not wearing armor.

14. 22highcaps

22highcaps
    Expand Collapse

15. HK MP5 Cop

HK MP5 Cop
    Expand Collapse

Speedfeed IV-S is a great stock and does not need any extra spacers or anything to put on. But also that a look at the Mesa Tactical LEO M-4 style stock, I've recently switched to one and love it. I leave the stock closed, but if you want a longer LOP just open it up more. You'll have six more postions to make it longer.
    hope this helps.
    Clifton Dacus
    Firearms Instructor
    Firearms Trainer
    Tac Team Leader

16. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Yes. And often what is touted as superior over time turns out to just be new and different, without any of the supposed superiority outside of a fairly narrow set of parameters.

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

And sometimes wise folks sound very much like they're getting paid by the word. Woo woo. :)

18. dualG22s

dualG22s
    Expand Collapse

i cant speak for all LE, just my department. My post before was probably too short. All of our squad cars have shotties for shooting hurt deer. We have rifles to shoot people. I don't ever see anyone frm swat ever bring a shotgun either.

19. bsg1

bsg1
    Expand Collapse

interesting thread; it gives credence to the phrase "different strokes for different folks." it can be argued that a shooter's "perceived" confidence in his/her weapon makes him/her more proficient with that weapon than a superior weapon that he/she has no confidence in....

#39 bsg1, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010