Pistol at home without CC permit?

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by Romadoc, Oct 6, 2012.

1. I have recently moved to FL and have not yet received my permit. Can I legally keep a loaded pistol in my home for defensive use?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Resolve to Train in 2014: Basic Pistol, Home Defense, Concealed Carry North T&T Commercial Postings Jan 3, 2014
    AR pistol, with "stabilizing brace", for home defense GATE Self-Defense Forum Dec 14, 2013
    Brought my new pocket pistol home today... General Firearms Forum Jun 22, 2013
    Parents want a pistol for home defense? GATE Self-Defense Forum Mar 7, 2013
    Carrying 24/7 (at home, with pistol on nightstand) GATE Self-Defense Forum Sep 26, 2012

3. itsnitro

itsnitro Got Sig?

Yes and if you have kids keep It out of their reach.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. You can also keep it in your car without a permit as long as it is not ' immediately accessable' so you can keep it in the glove box or center console but not sitting on the passenger seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

#3 JerryVO, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  5. itsnitro

itsnitro Got Sig?

Loaded with one in the camber as well....

6. As stated above , in the home govern yourself accordingly . In the vehicle, there is a standard old saying 1-2-3 . Yes you can carry a loaded gun in your car , but be advised LEO's have a pretty broad interpretation of the law, and depending on the circumstance you could have some 'splaining to do . The 1-2-3 philosophy is 1-obtain the gun. 2-unholster , unzip, unbox, or make ready . 3- fire . Some people will say get a shoot through holster or circumvent this in varying ways . Again govern yourself accordingly .
    My advice get your permit as quickly as your circumstances present themselves . Remember in Florida your home is your castle , that "luxury" in Florida, extends to your vehicle . Your permit is your official "I am a good guy" card. Welcome to Florida !

7. I agree with all of the above advice. However, I would strongly suggest that you purchase THE reference on owning, carrying, and using firearms in Florida:

"Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq.

I believe the 7th edition is out now. You can find it in most gun shops and pawn shops, or online. It's well worth the $26.00 or so.

8. It's also available at just about every major gun show in Florida. It's the "bible" as far as I'm concerned.

9. Also, in case you moved from New Jersey, we can have hollow point bullets here in FL. :wavey:

10. Read the FL statute 790. especially "...it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:" ... including "A person possessing arms at his or her home..." and "A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased" ... where "Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

I am not a lawyer, but I believe we can store or carry a loaded handgun in our home and on our own property. What we cannot do is use it to intimidate someone or make it available to minors.