close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pistol Accuracy / Consistency

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by kmittleman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I've decided I really want to become proficient with a pistol and have been practicing a lot recently. I mainly shoot a G34 and various .22's but have other guns that I shoot from time to time.

What I've noticed is that I can usually get decent groups out at 15 yds with the 9mm (1.5-2") , but with so so consistency. I find I reach a peak, and then as I get tired / frustrated, accuracy diminishes greatly. With the .22, I can usually stay much more consistent with similar groups.

My question is, do any of you have a detailed practice regimen that might help iron some of this out? Is there a magic number of rounds per hour and breaks in between shots?

Thanks in advance!

-K

2. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    Improve your grip and forearm strength to increase the endurance. The mental is going to be based on how you feel, drive to perform, etc.

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor

Aug 1, 2012
    La Mesa, NM
    I have to agree with MarkCO...I instruct and have been an LE Instructor for over 20 years...probably the single most prevalent issue I see relates directly to upper body and hand strength!...I cannot begin to tell you the shooters who buy a dbl action revolver and cannot pull the trigger more than a few times...simply do not have any hand strength...and many of these folks are middle-age, not geezers ( like me)
    Others purchase the self-loaders and cannot load their mags or retract their slides...it really is a shame to see this.
    Look at Koenig, Miculek, etc...all these shooters have beefy forearms & shoulders...even Julie Golob has good a good upper body ( oops!) you know what I meant..so I think you should work on your strength and search the web...there are lots of sites for training regimens...look at some of Todd Louis Green's stuff
    Remember to always "Practice with a Purpose"...anyone can burn thru a 100 rds of ammo and not learn a thing.

4. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    When you say you want to become proficient, do you mean that you want to become a highly accurate bench/target shot, or do you want to focus on becoming a good defensive shooter?

5. Well both really. But I want to initially focus on being an accurate shot with a pistol and then later on the defensive stuff. Part of it is that besides enjoying shooting targets (well), one of my goals is to handgun hunt.

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    Work your basic pistol fundamentals FIRST; when you feel that you have mastered them, using the sort of gear you will actually be carrying (vs a tricked out target gun) then find a GOOD defensive handgun course.....

While obviously related (fundamentals) , they are not interchangeable, as the defensive end of things has a number of variables that will not be encountered in static target shooting.....

But the static target work will lay the foundation of everything else you do.....

As far as your initial post, set a goal for yourself each session, one that is realistic, and stay with it; "X sized group at X yards", etc; .....once you are able to do that consistently, and it feels easy, set a new goal, within reason, and master that; once you have done that, go back to the original goal, and add a time element; this will add a new challenge to it;

As a self-training aid, video yourself practicing; watch those videos and observe your form, and the consistency with which you employ your basic skills; you will see a few flaws, things you didn't even know you were doing; next time, correct those deficiencies, and so on...

Once you are very comfortable with your form, weapons handling skills, and marksmanship, then look for that defensive course, something that runs one or two long days and will require 600-1500 rounds....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    WADR ranger1968, you did not answer his question. Granted, we do not know the speed at which he shoots the groups, but his accuracy is better than most "defensive pistol" instructors. Telling him to take a class from a guy he can probably outshoot won't build any endurance.

If you want to handgun hunt, I would suggest IMHSA or silhouette shooting. I learned a lot about the techniques required for shooting big game at ranges out to 200 yards with no rest and a magnum revolver. The guys who shoot that game are usually very helpful as well.

8. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    Read my post again;

In answer to my question regarding on what type of shooting he wanted to do; in which the OP indicated that he had an eye toward defensive use, the portion regarding finding a good defensive pistol course was completely relevant as it applies to that concern; defensive shooting has a completely different set of tactics than standard static paper punching for groups.

In terms of improving his endurance, I gave him some specific things to try....

I answered his questions, and I would be happy to answer any other questions that he, or anyone else, has.

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    I always recommend competition.

NOTHING changes your skills like having a shot timer and a crowd watching your performance... That little "Rambo" in your head gets a dose of reality, and then growth can begin.

At every competition the good shooters are placing high. Not all good shooters are people persons and may or may not encourage the growth of skills in the competition pool... but you can still learn.

Check out USPSA, IDPA, Action Pistol - then attend a few matches of each to see what really lights your fire.

6 to 12 months of competition shooting will change your proficiency, accuracy, and speed.

Plus, it's one heck of a good time with great people!
    :supergrin: