Pinellas sheriff fires 4, suspends 2 for loafing on the job

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by South Fla, May 2, 2012.

1. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    'COPS' wraps up production with Pinellas sheriff's deputies... Cop Talk Jan 14, 2015
    Pinellas County SO Spring Break Take Down Cop Talk Mar 10, 2015
    Pinellas co LODD Cop Talk Dec 21, 2014
    Pinellas County Sherrif on open carry. Florida Glockers Club Apr 14, 2011
    Bill Jacksons Indoor range in Pinellas Park Florida Glockers Club Sep 1, 2010

3. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Damn. Sounds like a few of our guys. Don't get me wrong, when it is uber dead on graves, we will door up sometimes, but more often than not, we will go on foot patrols etc. to pass the time. Watching movies on an MDT or whatever is okay for OT events where you are basically a set of overheads on the highway, but not on the street.

Too easy to get snuck up on.

IMO.

4. There is nothing wrong with parking door to door. Many times if I've been running hard for 5-6 hours, I would like nothing more than to take a break and park door to door while waiting for the next call. It could be 10 minutes or it could be an hour or so. If it's an hour, so what, it could just as easily been 10 minutes.

Now, I agree with Cochese, watching movies on duty, shopping, going home (for more than a quick trip to bathroom) I don't agree with.

5. They knew they were wrong if some disconnected their GPS transmitters.

I guess this agency does not have daily activity sheets where you log calls, traffic stop and areas of patrol throughout the shift? No way I could sit idle for 'hours' and it not immediately be noticed by supervisors.

#4 ray9898, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. jpa

jpa
    CLM

What happened to progressive discipline? If this was a problem, why was it allowed to continue for so long before the Sheriff decided to just up and fire a bunch of officers? If you want to talk about doing a disservice to the community and wasting taxpayer money, how does it save money to discard several trained and experienced officers and create vacancies that will probably have to be filled with overtime? Warn them, write them up, suspend them and if after all that's been done and the pattern still continues, THEN fire them.

7. Holy crap....in 5 weeks one officer did 12 stops, 11 reports and two FI's. Either it is Mayberry, they are dramatically overstaffed or he is a lazy POS. That is 2 or 3 shifts of work in every agency I have experience with.

8. I'm not saying that's ok for 5 weeks worth of time, because it's not. However, 11 reports in two days would be extremely rare for me and pretty much every other rural officer I know on midnights. Traffic and FIs? Sure. That's when I get the most done, because I'm not spending time responding to and taking paper on BS.

#7 rockapede, May 2, 2012
  9. I was not there so I can't say what they did was bad enough to fire them. But I do know if I worked a busy car when I was a LEO, I could expect about 40 calls for service on a Friday/Saturday night. If I worked an area not so busy with calls for service, I was expected to make stops, etc., and keep busy with documentable stuff.

10. I have no idea if civil service or similar protections exist for these SO employees, nor do I know their disciplinary histories.

However, an intentionally disconnected GPS = demonstrable intent to avoid accountability and responsibility in my world. Any employee that does this should face serious sanction. It is all too easy to forget to reconnect it and if another shift gets in that unit and is involved in an instantaneous deadly force incident, the deputy that disconnected it may very well have responsibility in a fellow deputy's injury or death.

We all know certain "weak siblings" who go to certain shifts to avoid work and get their "welfare check".

11. South Fla

No, Pinellas Co. isn't Mayberry. They do call it "God's Waiting Room" but not Mayberry. Pinellas Co. is where Clearwater and St. Petersburg are.

#10 South Fla, May 2, 2012
  12. South Fla

13. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

I wonder if there were any warnings, written documentation, or previous disciplinary actions against any of the discharged?

14. Time for them to become firefighters, though they would need to tone down the productivity. :supergrin:

15. Did anyone think the firings were due to the officers gett'in all the good donuts before the sheriff?

16. Gee, I've never heard a donut joke before.

Ha.

Ha.

Does seem weird that they were just all spontaneously fired... but that's probably not what really happened. There is likely a backstory not reported in the press version of events.

Our MDC's have no CD/DVD drives, will not connect to any "regular" internet sites unless pre-approved, and GPS is attached to the CAD program (i.e. it's on if you are logged in). Takes away a lot of the wiggle room for us. ;)

#15 scottydl, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  17. Did you think that up all by yourself?

18. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

Hey, that guy is smart, very smart, he has an IQ!

19. So does my dog....

#18 Ohio Cop, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  20. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

As is ours.

Unless somebody unplugs the GPS itself.

21. South Fla

Now there is a story....

...where they were supposed to get 5 days off instead of getting canned.

But the Sheriff decided to fire them any way.