close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pig

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by EL COLONEL, Feb 21, 2010.

1. do a searched in this forum, I bet you will find a lot of pic of hogs taken from a wide variety of guns.

2. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Anybody ? me, I have not hunted pig yet been to wet..........:faint:

3. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................................:whistling:

4. jjsobba

jjsobba

Jan 28, 2010
    Kansas
    Didn't make it pig hunting this year:crying:I am saving up to go Elk hunting this fall! I would like to see some pig pictures too.

5. From over 10 years ago when I lived in Australia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Whachucallme?

The last pig hunt I was on, digital cameras used floppy drives.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Very cool Vafish. Very cool...... :cool:

CanyonMan

8. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Do you mix the wild pig in with domestic pork fo ryour table meat?

9. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Western Colorado
    Great pics, Vafish. Did you eat those critters, were they good, like domestic pork? I've wanted to hunt javalina and wild boar, someday....

10. We did not keep the meat.

That was when I was in Australia, it was a feral animal control, the whole purpose was to kill as many pigs as possible and we didn't have enough coolers to put the meat in.

11. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Vafish great pics , What caliber gun did u use ?

12. The bottom pic was the first gun I used, it's a Sako .223 bullet was a 62 gr JSP, I think it was the Winchester, but might have been PMC. I found it to be less than optimal. Lost one big boar that I shot, the sow I hit in the hind quarters, the boar my buddy is behind came charging at us as the sow squealed. Hit him 2 times with the .223 and my buddy hit him 3 times with the .243 as he charged across a big open field at us. The last shot with the .243 was in the head and put him down. Then I put one in the head of the still squealing sow.

After that I switched to the rifle I'm holding in the other photos. Its a Swedish Mauser M38 in 6.5x55 that I sporterized. Shot 7 more pigs after that and none of them ran off.

I know a lot of folks use a .223 for hogs, I like to use more gun.

13. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Vafish , Great calibre you swithched to. My brother from another mother also shot 9 hogs with the 223 while they were in a trap ., would not put them down and after i saw that with my own eyes i decided not to use 223 for hogs i swithed to a rem. 700 in 300wsm . Missed a large hog yesterday at 160 yds . turns out i had accidentely put 2 contacts in one eye , what a dummy, lol , anyway hope to shoot one soon with the 300wsm and see how that does. Good hunting...........................................................:wavey:

14. Any .30 cal from the .30-30 on up should work fine on hogs. The .300 WSM should hammer them.

.223 can work on hogs with proper bullet selection and placement. But the larger calibers give you more room for error. You can't place shots on a hog like you do a deer, the lungs and heart are a bit further forward.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  15. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Vafish , Thanx...............................................:supergrin: