close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

piece of @#%&! light holder!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by cowboywannabe, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jeffshead

jeffshead
    Expand Collapse

Thanks but that's not in the same price range. The CDM mount alone costs more than the Lumaforce light & mount.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I just do not understand the two discusions going on here.

One is a back and forth about weapon mounted lights. We have a firearms instructor saying that weapon mounted lights are only relevant for LEO/Mil. It's nice to know how to use a handheld light in conjunction w/ a firearm. There just isn't a reason not to mount one to the weapon. Why tie up a hand if you don't need to. It makes everything (reloads, malfunction clearing) much more difficult. Especially on a long gun.

Learn to use it properly, momentary on/off, etc...

I am curious as to how the instructor would recommend using a handheld light while running a long gun.

The second is that I'll never understand people throwing cheap junk on their defensive weapons. It blows my mind.

3. jb1911

jb1911
    Expand Collapse

You want the L&M light mount:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely stays put and it only clamps to the mag tube. I didn't like any of the mounts that attach to the mag tube and the barrel because every time I wanted to take the barrel off I had to get the allen pack out and take the light mount off first.

4. JBL13

JBL13
    Expand Collapse

Safe, effective use of a weapon-mounted light is simply a training issue, no?

5. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Inside my home, just not needed. There is plenty of light at night. I get up in the middle of the night every now and then and can walk around just fine without bumping into things. I know my house and were the furniture is. There are lots of light sources from the LED's in various appliances, stereo, cable box, battery chargers, ect....

I can walk around without making noise, but I bet an intruder can't. My home isn't that big and there are a couple of nice choke points. I will know where an intruder is before they know where I am.

That and I have 2 K9-A1 intruder detection systems. I don't need to see an intruder, I just need to aim above the barking noises. :supergrin:

I do have night sights on my carry gun and shotgun.

Now outside the home, in strange locations I can see the usefulness of a light. I don't have a weapon attached one, but I do carry a light.

#45 vafish, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  6. jeffshead

jeffshead
    Expand Collapse

That's why I don't like the CDM MOD-C mount plus I feel it is over priced. I learned the hard way, long ago, that you usually get what you pay for but most importantly... more expensive does not always mean better.

Thanks jb1911 for your post! I ordered the L&M mount for $25.

I've read nothing but good reviews of the Lumaforce light and I own a few high quality knock offs and all of them are brighter, look, feel and perform just as well as my Surefire but they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

In a week or so, I'll dump several high pressure loads through the gun and report back on how the Lumaforce light and L&M mount hold up.

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

You must positively ID a threat. Every single time.

Several guys thinking like you ended up shooting their wives or kids because they didn't think they needed a light.

A pastor I knew once almost shot his then-girlfriend in a similar incident.

The areas I used to conduct operations in on active duty I trained in, every day. Repeatedly, while on duty. Sometimes up to 15 times a day we'd run dry-runs. I could literally walk the place blindfolded pretty much and know where I was.

Still used a light. Every time. Even though our rules of engagement were far, far looser than yours.

8. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

Buy once, cry once. I usually avoid the cheap route and finding "just as good" products, especially with firearm/work gear. I rarely if ever take the barrel off my work 870. The cdm mount has been solid with no complaints. For $40 it does what it's supposed to.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#48 SCSU74, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. jeffshead

jeffshead
    Expand Collapse

Last night, I put the LumaForce light and the L&M Single Ring mount through the paces. After installing the mount and light, it's rock solid. You can't twist or move either with your hand. I shot 25 3" magnum slugs/buckshot without so much as a hiccup. Shoulder's a little tender though.

I'm very happy with my $75 investment and highly recommend this combo.

Thanks again jb1911 for recommending the L&M mount.

10. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I would just change out the forearm with one that has rails.

I have the OEM forearm with rails on my Mossberg 590 A1. It works very well. They are not too expensive either.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mako-Mossberg-500-Handguards-Rails/dp/B001F0M37M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/187-3538463-4038521"]Amazon.com: Mako Mossberg 500/590 Handguards with 3 Rails: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OCX6RBMzL.@@AMEPARAM@@41OCX6RBMzL[/ame]

[​IMG]

#50 smokin762, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  11. jeffshead

jeffshead
    Expand Collapse

Please take no offense but that forearm mount sticks out too far for my taste and it eats up a ton of hand space.
    [​IMG]

Compare:
    [​IMG]

To each his own... It's all good :supergrin:

#51 jeffshead, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  12. jb1911

jb1911
    Expand Collapse

Glad to help. I don't know why more people don't use this mount.

13. jeffshead

jeffshead
    Expand Collapse

Someone asked...
    [​IMG]

The mount measures 23/32" thick. Just a hair under 3/4".