close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Picture Request

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by jwizzl497, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Mar 3, 2009
    Okay so I understand the 45GAPs use a 45slide but the thinner standard compact and subcompact frame. I really need to see some pics of a GAP model next to a standard model to see the difference. I imagine if the slide is a little wider it would slightly hang over the frame? I just need to see some detailed pics and I am sure people on this forum, expecially this subforum have some regular models they can take some pics and post to help me get a handle on the actual difference in size. I would greatly appreciate it. I think some shots form the rear of the guns might be best, but who knows. I just need to see the difference. The 45 non-gap glocks are too thick in the frame for me so Im thinking the thinner GAP frame would not only help with comofrt but also make the pistol easier to conceal? ALso, I am trying to assess if the thicker GAP slide as compared to a regular compact or subcompact, ie G26, is noticeably larger that it would affect concealment?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rfe959

rfe959

Jul 23, 2006
    Mid-West

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'll try to get you some photos later today. The ever so lightly wider slide does not effect concealment for me. I carry a G37 or G38 OWB or IWB, denepding on the situation, or a G39 in a pocket holster, IWB or OWB, again depending on the situation.

4. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Mar 3, 2009
    That would be awesome, thanks!

5. miatank

miatank

Mar 29, 2006
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Mar 3, 2009
    I see the slide is a little thicker, but overall the slide is still flush with the frame so it doesnt appear that the thicker slide should affect IWB carry. No the G21 and G30, the frame is wider than the slide and I believe that's what makes them too thick for some people.

7. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    The GAPs come stock with the extended slide release to make up for the little extra width which is a bonus.

8. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    G37 GAP on the left, G19 9mm on the right.

Attached Files:

9. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks for the pic!!

Hmm the GAP models defiantley look wider in that pic. I was kind of hoping that since the widest part on all glocks is the frame, the GAP slides would be flush with the frame but that doesnt appear to be the case, looks like the slide hangs over slightly. Is that correct???

I'm concened about the GAP models being thicker than the 9/40 models. I would love to pick up a G39 or G38 but don't want to if they are going to be thicker.

10. chad745

chad745

Apr 23, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Take a micrometer to it, and yes, it is thicker. Put it on your body and carry as designed, and it is imperceptible. I carry both the 39 and the 27, based on the weather and other things. I feel no diff.

11. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The wider slide is still not as wide as the widest part of the frame, con concealment is really no problem. I've been pocket carrying a G39 for years.

12. R.K. Watkins

R.K. Watkins

Apr 27, 2009
    Does anyone know if the GAP pistols will fit in a holster made for a 9MM?

Will a G37 fit properly in a G17 holster, a G38 fit properly in a G19 holster, etc.?

13. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    A GAP will not fit a form fitting 9mm kydex holster, but may fit a 9mm leather holster. Since all my holsters are kydex, each of my Glocks has it's own holster.

14. dbarry

dbarry Silver Member

Feb 15, 2010
    the Buckeye state
    The very thick hard holsters will not conform to the thicker gap slide. Softer leather ones work nicely.

15. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    +1 No problem at all with the soft leather/suede IWB holsters. Fobus makes a reasonably priced paddle kydex for the G38. If you like the Fobi for OWB, it pretty available.

16. chad745

chad745

Apr 23, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Agreed...mostly. I have a Blackhawk Serpa made for the 27/26, and my 39 will NOT go in at all. But I have a Supertuck Delux that will take the 27 and 39 and it's made for the 27/26...and it's kydex. Same with my Fobus. So, it depends I guess.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  17. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I have found this to be true. My Crossbreed Supertuck for G 36 holds my G 38, but it is a bit tight. The kydex on it si very thin and pliable. Other than that, none of my other kydex holsters (Comp-Tac) for my G 36 will hold the 45 GAP. If you look at the slide on a GAP, the bottom edges are rounded inward to make the larger slide conform to the smaller frame.

This is also why the capacity is lower as the horizontal offset is less to fit the larger round in a thinner magazine.

18. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    This is a G39 (with XS Big Dot sights). Note the slide is the same width as the frame.

[​IMG]

19. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

IMHO, you are fretting over something that you will never effect your ability to carry concealed unless you are 5' tall and weigh less than 100 lbs. Even then, the difference is infinitesimal.