close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pics of my new Wyoming Arms Parker :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Sep 12, 2013.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    The Wyoming Arms was based in Thermopolis, Wyoming. The Parker was loosely based on the 1911, but it certainly has some differences internally and externally. As you can see, there is no grip safety and no thumb safety. Instead, there is a slide mounted safety that doesn't lock the hammer, but rather simply blocks the firing pin, making it a very awkward gun to carry. Any single action only pistol that can't be carried cocked and locked is awkward, in my book.

The outward appearance of the gun also differs from the 1911 in the fact that the dustcover is so short and there is no scallop on the slide. The trigger guard is also squared off instead of rounded. The Parker came with a two piece black plastic guide, which is very odd. The "plunger tube" is sort of built into the left grip. The Parker does use a barrel link, but its much smaller than your typical 1911 link and, likewise, makes the Parker a fairly difficult pistol to reassemble. Disassembling the gun isn't overly fun either, as the ejector is spring loaded and will literally fly across the room if you don't hold it in place with your thumb when removing the slide. As a result, many of these pistols were actually sold used with no ejector to an unsuspecting second owner. This is obviously, NOT a great design trait. :headscratch:

The Parker was introduced back in the late 1980's when stainless used for autos was still in its early days. The fact that its labeled "stainless steel" is usually a dead giveaway. Quality was fair. Some worked great and some were very problematic. The pistol actually came in an impressive selection of configurations to include three different barrel and slide lengths (3 3/8", 5", and 7"). The compact and longslide models are not all that common, however. In addition to the sizes, the Parker was offered in 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, and even 10mm. My configuration is certainly the most common, which is a 5" 45ACP. This model takes Colt 1911 mags.

As some may note, the appearance of the gun does reassemble that of the AMT/IAI Automag pistols. It is my understanding that someone affiliated with AMT started Wyoming Arms, but I have no concrete information to substantiate that. What I do know, however, is that Wyoming Arms was only in business a few years before going bankrupt in the early 1990's. Laseraim sort of resurrected the pistol during the 1990's and kept the gun very similar to the Wyoming Arms pistol, but added a rail for a laser mount. As fate would have it, Laseraim also only lasted a few years.

As a collector, I bought this gun as an addition to my other "off the beaten path" pistols. Its certainly interesting enough to get my attention. I only paid $300 for it. It has a few handling marks, but remains is very good shape. :cool:

Does anyone else have or have had a Parker? If so, what do you think? As always, please enjoy the pics and post your thoughts.

Thanks! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I remember those.....very interesting pistols.:supergrin:

Nice specimen....do you plan to see how it shoots or just completing a niche in the collection?

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Very nice Bac.........seems to have a lot of similarities with AMT

Thanks for sharing........a true "blast from the past"

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I like it... Very AMT looking, as you mentioned.

Congrats!!

5. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    As well as I can recall, bac, this is your first acquisition which has a neutral to negative review. You aren't moderating your standards are you? :wow:

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    No, I've talked negatively about my acquisitions before, though maybe not in the last year or two. I have some guns a lot worse than the Parker...

I actually think this one is pretty cool, but I'm always honest about my stuff. :)

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    It's going to the range, Berto. I already field stripped and cleaned and lubed it well.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Thanks Greg

Yeah, it's very similar to my Automag III in function and appearance.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I remember them and I think some had some galling issues and others did not. But it was a long time ago and i might be confused. But I imagine and suspect from your post that some liberal use of lubrication may not be a bad thing with this.

I think these are a bit interesting based on both the idea of moving away from a strict 1911 configuration that still worked and what was learned about stainless steel use in a pistol.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I came across a Parker last year. I asked how much and the shop dude showed me the price tag that said $800 on it.

I figured for $200 it'd be a good $&@" and giggles gun but $800? No way in hell.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, that's ridiculous, fnfalman. I have seen the 10mm models go for a good amount on Gunbroker, but not $800.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yep.

Here's my iAi Automag III in 30 Carbine for comparison. The Automag has some differences and some similarities.

I will say that the Automag is a highly quality pistol for sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  13. willieH

willieH

May 4, 2012
    Tennessee
    As always, thanks for an interesting and informative post.

14. Rick C

Rick C affiant

Aug 1, 2001
    NW FL
    Thanks! :supergrin:

I hit a hawg in the ass with one. :supergrin:
    Nice pics of an obscure pistol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Looks like a big ass chunk of gun! :wow:

Congrats! :cool:

16. dizmodeus

dizmodeus

Oct 23, 2011
    A
    I'll admit to wanting one, if only due to my affection for the state of Wyoming. Whenever I see these guns I wonder what a set of custom grips would do for the looks.

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Cool. I use to eye those pistols in my older gun digest copies and wonder if they were decent shooters. I named my dog Parker. :supergrin:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  18. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Congrats Brian. Ive never seen one before.

19. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Sep 6, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Congrats on a nice acquisition Bac.
    It is a very interesting gun and nice spin off of the 1911.
    I'll be interested in hearing how it shoots for you.