close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pics of my AR and a couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by tbone86, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]
    By jholder86, shot with iPhone 3G at 2009-12-30

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The specs of my rifle:
    Spikes tactical lower
    Rock river lower parts (stage 2 match trigger)
    DPMS 16" 1/9 complete upper
    Magpul MIAD grip (FDE)
    Magpul rear sight (FDE)
    Primary arms Aimpoint Clone
    OD green stock and handguard

What internal parts should I replace (if any) to make this rifle a tank. I've read about titanium firing pins and better extractors, what are your thoughts on those? Also, is a chrome plated bolt and carrier worth investing in? I plan on using it at some carbine courses and if shtf, plus for recreation. I'm still an AR newb so any advice will definately help. Thanks for lookin!

2. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    May consider buying a BCM bolt carrier group (or at least bolt) and just using that. Keep your original BCG as a spare.

I wouldn't get a titanium firing pin though.

3. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Get rid of the RRA 2 stage trigger. It will go out on you, I guaranty it.
    I would run a 5.56 reamer in the DPMS chamber as they are known to stamp 5.56 on the barrel but actually be a .223. That is bad!!!!

If with RM about the BCM bolt or BCG.

You have BUIS so when the fakepoint dies you will have a sighting system.

Last on all I would skip the titanium firing pin stuff.

4. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I was wondering about the trigger, my buddy has a timney drop-in on his AR and I loved the pull on it. I'll look into the 5.56 reamer. Thanks

5. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    I understand about nice trigger pulls. But you have to spend some money to get a good pull that is solid enough for a training class. Geiselle SSA is the only one I would recommend, unless others have experiences.

And don't ream it yourself. Let a smith or trained armorer to it.

6. Norcal911

Norcal911

Aug 1, 2007
    NorCal
    I rarely disagree with HC but at least give that RRA trigger a chance since you already have it. I haven't heard much good about them especially compared to geiselle or KAC (both are top of the line) but I have run a RRA 2 stage through a couple of classes and on the street and its holding up. While I understand that is hardly any sort of sientific test, mine works. I got it before I knew better and started using it. The feel is great but the complaint I've heard is that the 2 stage part of it goes away. It doesn't become dangerous or anything, you just loose the nice 2 stage part of it. Anyway, since you have it, run it and get a geiselle as a spare and use it when the RRA goes south. Geiselle makes a little known budget model for less than $200that is great for a duty rifle. Couple of guys on my team run them and they work great. I've also had good luck with a couple of Bill Springfield trigger jobs and they are quite a bargain. I'm no operator but I do instruct and carry an AR daily so your mileage may vary. What other people said is great advice as far as a BCM FA bolt and an aimpoint or Eotech.

Let's talk about the firing pin. Why no titanium? I'm certainly not disagreeing, just have no knowledge on it. I'm guessing too brittle or too expensive and not necesary, but I've never run one and never had the discussion. Can somebody enlighten me?-Norcal911

7. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Norcal, you really have a RRA 2 stage with a high round count?? Wow, every one I've seen rolled over at 2 to 4 thousand, some even less than that. But strange things do happen, I know a guy with a Oly upper on a FA lower and it runs like a top. ( Who would have guessed that :faint:)

The Geiselle SSA is the duty trigger for $180 ish. I thought I would never use a 2 stage trigger on a hard use gun and my work gun, but after hearing from A LOT of knowledgeable folks that this trigger will last I finally got one.

Your right on about the titanium firing pin.

8. Get thee self to a real HWS (Holographic Weapons Sight) like the EOTech, ACOG or Aimpoint. The cheapies will work for the range and plinking but when the chips are down, they will fail you. There's a reason why the soldiers on the frontline in Iraq where they are being shot at everyday and shooting back everyday use only the good stuff.

You never regret paying for quality. Remember, something cheap might work 99% of the time but when the chips are down, you need it 100% and that 1% failure will be when you need it to save your life.

Gawd... I sound like a self-appointed gun course guru.

9. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I have only seen one RRA 2-Stage with a high round count (approx. 4-5K rounds) and it works well still. The others I have seen have not gotten up that high of a round count, but they still work well.

As for titanium firing pins, they are more prone to breakage.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  10. ezterra

ezterra

Mar 2, 2005
    Eglin AFB, FL
    I have an RRA Entry Tactical that's I had since '04. It still has the original 2 stage trigger and somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8K rounds through it and several carbine classes and 3 gun matches. I do notice that when it gets dirty, I kind of loose the first stage and the trigger reset can feel almost as if it won't reset, but it always does.

11. Norcal911

Norcal911

Aug 1, 2007
    NorCal
    Ya, it not terribly high round count, probably 5K-ish and it still feels fine. I don't think the geiselle has much on the RRA for feel, its just durability thing. One of these days I'll swap it out but I figured if its not broke don't fix it, at least not yet. My Bill Springfield's are holding up pretty well too, although they are probably at less than 2K rounds. My results are far from any sort of scientific test, just happens to work for me. I've heard enough from people who know not to buy another RRA trigger but it wouldn't stop me from using one I already have.

A lot of people think a milspec trigger is fine for a duty style rifle and if that's what you train with I'm sure it is, but I'm a big believer in a good trigger. As long as its durable and you train with it, I think you give up nothing in CQB or safety and I think it gives you an advantage for longer range precision shots.

I'll have to second what LM said about optics. Save up and buy the good stuff. Aimpoint or Eotech are fine although the merits of both have been vigorously debated many times as well. I'm actually starting to like some of the 1-4X's that are out. My times on close stuff weren't much different but my groups at a 100 were much better with a 1-4X. Hardly a consideration for my duty gun as I work in the city, but if I give up nothing in speed and I can go to 4X for a longer shot or provide intel to the incident commander with higher magnification, that's a plus in my book. I'm experimenting with the Millett DMS on my match gun. Seems to be a descent product, but I wouldn't put it on my duty rifle. I think the lowest tier 1-4X I'd put on a duty rifle would be the TR24 and then they pretty much line up by price with the short dot or the Z6 (1-6X) being the pinnacle in performance as well as price. Happy shopping-Norcal911

12. crenca

crenca

May 14, 2009
    Titanium is a brittle, finicky metal - very difficult to work with from a manufacturing stand point. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it in a firearm for any reason unless you were trying to go for something with planned obsolescence. Using it for something as functional as a firing pin? At least put it somewhere that when it cracks the gun has a chance of functioning.

Well, there is the marketing aspect - everyone knows that it is exotic and expensive, so it just has to be good...

:supergrin:

13. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    1. Real optic.

2. Spare BCG, a Bravo Company one works fine.

3. Make sure the one in the gun is properly staked.

4. Don't overclean the gun, lube it with Slip 2000.

5. Get rid of match triggers. Either go stock, or go Geissele.

14. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for all the input guys, my next mod will either be the bravo company bcg or the trigger. And then a visit to the smithy, I think all of those are more important than getting a quad rail and foregrip. I went with the aimpoint knock off since I'm on a budget being a recent college graduate and still working at a restaurant, eventually I'll acquire the proper optics. All the advice is much appreciated, thanks again! :wavey:

15. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Sounds like you have your priorities in order.

16. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Also i forgot to mention I have the Magpul sling in dark earth, and I'm waiting on the ASAP mount to come in the mail. So far I'm loving the simplicity and ability to do either 1 or 2 point.

17. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    I thought it was a marketing gimmick till I tried that set up. Once I realized it was superior to anything I have ever used, I bought the Sling and plate.

18. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Now I have been made fun of by some friends for using a polymer rear sight, but magpul's products seem to be solid across the board. Do you think it would hold up for a carbine class just as well as a metal rear sight?

19. Get a real rear sight, like the ARMS 40L... which I have, coincidentally.:supergrin:

As for priorities and budget... hey, you got into this hobby of playing the AR game, now you must pay... I left my AR alone for 12 years... and then within the last month, I blew about $1,500 on optics, sights, upper assembly, stock, etc. to rebuild it as a M4gery in the best way a non-soldier can build.

20. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I understand, I believe there are very few hobbies that are inexpensive. Over time as I make more money, my AR will improve. But for now since I'm on a budget and based on the rifle that I have, I want to invest money into the functional areas where I will reap the benefits (i.e. durability). My brother has a diamondhead rear sight on his AR and I'm really digging it. Supposedly they help manufacture parts for troy or vice versa. For now I'll stick with the plastic rear sight and put it to the test. Plus I can't keep myself from tinkering with my guns. :cool: