close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Picks of my new Camp Carbine

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MBR, Dec 6, 2003.

1. MBR

MBR

Jan 11, 2000
    Wyoming
  2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

May 24, 2002
    above ground
    I recently made up a little camp/light hunting carbine.

[​IMG]

I chose the most accurate of my SKS's and installed the best light weight stock I could find. This is a Bell and Carlson Kelvar/glass filled foam stock. The scope is a 4X Simmons rubber armored in a K-Lock quick disconnect mount.
    The 7.63X39 is a good choice for a camp carbine. There is a variety of ammo available suited for everything from target to hunting deer size game. I have seen steel jacket-steel core ammo penetrate some amazing thicknesses of wood and steel. I have no doubt that ten rounds of it would sove almost any camp problem that requires a rifle.

3. MBR

MBR

Jan 11, 2000
    Wyoming
    Very nice, I wish I still had my Paratrooper SKS. I like that stock!!! I have seen that steel core ammo in 7.62x39 go through hatch covers for small ships (looks like a small man hole cover, cast steel, 1.5 - 2 inches thick).

4. Spartan24

Spartan24

Sep 28, 2003
    NV
    Camp guns are great. I just recently picked up this AR... I might get an M4 style upper to go with it though since it would be lighter and guicker for a camp gun.

5. MBR

MBR

Jan 11, 2000
    Wyoming
    Spartan,

That looks like a Bushmaster? Might I suggest Bushmasters new lightwieght barrel. I realy like the the slim (origonal) profile barrels over the H BAR's. An M4 realy will not be much lighter than what you have there.

I have a Bushy HBAR 14.5 inch barrel with a permanatly attached phantom flash hider (2.5 inches) Overall length is 16 inches. This would be a great set up with a lightwieght barrel.

6. Spartan24

Spartan24

Sep 28, 2003
    NV
    Yes it is an HBAR. Well I want the m4 barrel cause it is shorter and it is a lot lighter. I used to own one. They are incredibly light.

7. MBR

MBR

Jan 11, 2000
    Wyoming
    Im sorry, I did not notice in the pic,you have a full size AR15. I looked at the pic quickly and thought you had a shorty (CAR15). Your wright the M4 would be lighter than what you have, but the slim lightwieght barrel would be lighter yet!!

I wanted a caliber that was more potent than the .223, so I went with the Mini Thirty. I would realy like to step up to the new Springfield M1A SOCOM 16, very sweeeeeet indeeeeed!!!!!

8. Mud

Mud

Feb 18, 2002
    I think the SOCOM may be one of the perfect Semi auto camp guns 20 RDS of 308 should take care of about ANY thing

9. MBR

MBR

Jan 11, 2000
    Wyoming
    This new M1A SOCOM is flat KICK ASS!!! Ill bet she has some bark!! I have thought about a 16 inch barreled M1A many times (custom job). I didnt think it was possible though because the gas port/block is so close to the muzzle. I asummed it would have function/reliability problems. I guess I asummed wrong.

I would be happy with the ten round mags (maybe 20's on standby). 10 rounds of .308 is nothing to sneez at. M1 Garands in WWII only held 8 rounds of .30-06, look what was acomplished with them. Besides I like the looks of the rifles without that big mag hanging out, not so evil looking that way....LOL:cool:

10. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Oregon..
    MBR that rifle is a real knock out....How much would one of those
    stock w/o options set a guy back?

Did you purchase yours thru Springfield or another dealer?

11. MBR

MBR

Jan 11, 2000
    Wyoming
    Sorry if I misled you, I dont own one. I found the pics of the M1A SOCOM elsewhere on the net. My gun is a custom Ruger Mini Thirty Ranch, 7.62x39.

I beleive the price of the new M1A SOCOM would not be any more than a current standard M1A, around 1100 to 1500.00