close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picking Up Brass at the Range

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BrentC, Jun 13, 2014.

1. BrentC

BrentC

May 18, 2013
    When I shoot at the range, I shoot .40, .45 and some 9mm. Because I will probably buy a reloader , I have started picking up my brass. The problem is my brass is mixed with other's brass and I doubt the range appreciates me taking brass that is not mine since they sell their once used brass.

What are your thoughts? Make an effort to pick up only what is yours even if that means leaving some of yours behind? Pick up what's around you and if you pick up others brass oh well,it makes up for any you may have left behind? One person I asked said he felt if it has not been swept and dumped in the brass bucket, it is OK to pick up.

What are your thoughts.

2. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Aug 14, 2008
    Wisconsin
    IMO unless there's a posted/communicated policy anything left behind is all fair game. A rule I teach my kids is to leave it like you found it if not better.

I will not visit any range that at least doesn't let you pick up your own brass. You bought it, you own it. Shooting events excluded.

3. BrentC

BrentC

May 18, 2013
    I can't imagine ranges being opposed to you picking up your own, I was just referring to when picking up, how far should you go to make sure you don't pick up more than what you shot since your brass will be mixed with other brass left behind.

4. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    Really? Time to understand that u are on the verge of an incur able disease. Don't fight it. It starts innocently, then your polite "ma'am / sir, are u going to pick up ur brass? Oh. May I have it?"

Soon you will be staring at the floor hoping the person leaves so u can grab the brass. You will be glaring like a rabid dog at anyone who trys to swoop in on ur claim.

Worrying about fairness is the least of ur issues. Soon you will be digging in the garbage muttering "I cannot believe that fool through some brass in here."

If your not bragging "Oh ya, I have x number of 5 gallon buckets full of brass" then u feel inadequate. Soon u will be old and telling ur wife and kids... " this brass is valuable, don't just give it away or throw ( oh my God! ) throw it away. They will look at u strange and then you'll start repeating yourself. You'll feel as if u haven't made a strong enough case so u go to the internet and pull up sites that sell brass and show your spouse, see, see, see, I told u this was valuable.

BrentC, you are in trouble. It's too late. You are one of us!

5. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    If you want to be reasonably sure you only pick up your brass, when you open a box of factory ammo, remove the tray, use a fat tipped sharpie or similar marking pen to mark a stripe down each row of bullets across the headstamps/primers. This mark will survive being run through your gun...it may even survive being tumbled when you eventually start cleaning your brass. When you go to pick up brass, if it's got the stripe, odds are, it's yours.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I try & leave with the same amount I came with, regardless if it is the brand I brought. Seems fair to me, but some range owners are dicks. There are ranges that will tell you that you can't pick up your brass. I won't shoot at such places, unless they would like to pay me for the brass?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. All 3 indoor ranges here have the same policy, only pick up your brass and leave everything else. They have you mark your cases with a sharpie but it's really an honor system. The outdoor public range has no policy. I always ask if they're picking up their brass before hand. Some days everybody is picking up and your telling people to leave yours, other days I'm the only one picking up brass. Last time there I came home with 200+ 9mm, 50+ .380 and a bunch of 38spl. cases and was shooting 45acp and 357mag.

8. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    The key is to start teaching people to shoot. Of course they will generally be pretty green, and shooting factory ammo. Lay down a few fast runs and they'll probably even pick up the brass for you.

9. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Brass is too valuable to leave laying around. SJ 40

10. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    BrentC,

I feel the same way as Hoochrunners "...IMO unless there's a posted/communicated policy anything left behind is all fair game..."

Now in some ranges up here they do have signs posted and I certainly abide to there rules and leave the brass. However if you are going to start into the wonder world of reloading the one thing you had better start collecting is BRASS! Please DO be respectful about other shooters around, no one likes someone sweeping up brass too close to you when you are firing live ammo down range! I have had someone do that to me - Definitely not cool/not safe!

Doesn't matter what caliber you collect, you never know if at some time in the future you may pick up a gun in that caliber or not? You can always use it to trade with other re-loaders for what you may need.

I keep a scrap bucket on hand for rejects or .22's and when I collect enough I turn them in to a scrap place near by and get a few dollars for them.

Good luck and be safe out there

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  11. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    so true....so true!

G36_Me, you forgot the part about having a large quantity of brass you don't currently own a firearm for....but, ya know....maybe you'll pic one up sometime soon and will need that brass. :thumbsup:

12. fullmetal1911

fullmetal1911

Mar 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Big +1 on picking up stuff for calibers you don't shoot...YET

My fiance is a much more friendly person than I am, and she is usually the one to ask the people next to us as they start to sweep up their brass if they reload. When they almost always give that answer, "No." she is back quick with the "you mind if we have it?"

She used to ask me if it was a caliber we shoot, I finally decided a while back to just start taking everything. Well, I started shooting 40S&W a while back and I already had about 3K tumbled brass because I have been collecting so much of it. Sure a lot of it was "Glock'd up" but I have a die set up to de-bulge the cases.

IMHO though, you picked a horrible time to get into reloading. Prices are still artificially inflated, like 22lr ammo and powder seems to be harder to find than 22lr ammo. My theory is all these fly-by-night ammo "remanufacturers" that have sprung up in the post-Sandy Hook era.

Good luck to you. Reloading becomes a separate hobby in and of itself.

13. ezdaar

ezdaar

Jun 10, 2012
    Houston
    Tripod and a pool net. Position it to catch brass.

14. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

Take the kids to the range, they will pick it clean of any brass.

15. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    johnson8861 "Take the kids to the range, they will pick it clean of any brass."

That's a great idea! Only in my case it would have to be my grand-kids... :supergrin:

16. RustyL

RustyL

Oct 5, 2012
    Arkansas
    I always kick left over brass out of my way, left by the previous shooter. I retrieve as much as possible of my own.

And yes as stated above, when your wants and needs increase with reloading, it turns into an illness. You will enjoy reloading. There is a lot of knowledge in this forum.

17. d123gaw

d123gaw

Aug 28, 2012
    Not in KY anymore
    I guess I'm the odd one out and prolly shouldn't say this but I ended up buying 5lbs of brass from my range. I know some of it was mine that I had lost. It was mostly federal and Winchester.

18. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    I steal brass from my range...:whistling:

19. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    d123gaw "...I guess I'm the odd one out and prolly shouldn't say this but I ended up buying 5lbs of brass from my range..."

I have had to buy brass in the past as well. I remember when I was looking for .357 mag brass and couldn't find any, no matter where I went! One day I went to one of the ranges in my area and low & behold there on the shelf was a bag of just cleaned .357 mag brass - just staring at me. :wow:

What can I say... I just had to buy it.:supergrin:

20. Schrag4

Schrag4

May 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I try to shoot on private property as often as possible, but when I'm at the indoor range I've had decent results politely asking those shooting next to me if they're keeping their brass. The last time, the couple to my right actually put their brass into the ammo box they had just emptied and handed it to me when they left.

The indoor range I occasionally shoot at doesn't have a "no pickup" policy, but they do sell once-fired brass so of course I don't rummage through the buckets :supergrin: I tend to agree that anything not yet swept into the buckets is fair game, though.