Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Picked up a used kimber... needs a little love.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CanIhaveGasCash, Feb 10, 2010.

1. I picked up an older kimber CDPII off of a buddy for dirt cheap. The grip bushing threads in the frame are stripped, I'd like to find a stock sized tap to try and see if I can save them before I go with an oversized tap and bushings, but I haven't been able to find one.

The only other thing wrong with it is that the frame has some holster wear, scratches, and dings. I'd like to get it refinished. Which companies have you guys had experience with.

I've got the 1911 bug. This makes #3 and I'm looking to order #4.

I'm not looking to put a whole lot of money into it since I'd like to keep it as a beater gun.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Send it to Chuck Rogers. Have him golf ball it before he refinishes it. Thank me later :thumbsup:

3. Brownells has the standard (.236"-60) tap
  4. Too bad his website says that he isn't taking in any new work
  5. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Never hurts to try.
  6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001

Not sure about refinishing but I've heard Chuck say he does the Golf Ball machining in batches and might take this work if you ask real nicely.

ETA; Oh and get them damn grips off that thing. :)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Any idea on how much that runs?

I have set of VZ grips in the mail. It has an extended slide stop on it that interferes with an extra set of grips that I have, hopefully that won"t be an issue with the VZ's but if it is I'll just order a standard slide stop.
  8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001

No and even if I did I wouldn't post it. Chuck posts here at GT and he's grumpier than hell sometimes. :supergrin:
  9. krunchnik

krunchnik THE CROW

Aug 24, 2009
    I also traded a Para for a used kimber TLE/RL II that the frame and slide were showing some considerable holster wear(he carried it in a Fobus paddle)so my son gave me a bottle of G96 cold blueing,decided to try it out,it worked pretty well.All I did was strip the grips off and cleaned the frame and slide with acetone(Wifees fingernail polish remover)and rubbed the heck out of it with the blueing.

10. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
  11. wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Don't give it love! Use it for sex! shoot that baby! Use it as a working gun, one that you don't care how it looks, but how it works.
  12. Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    That is a decided improvement. Well worth the small investment in G-96 Cold Blue and (smooth move) your wife's finger nail polish remover!
  13. I will definitely use it as a working gun, but it wouldn't hurt for it to look a little nicer.

14. Wow that looks great.
  15. pistolwrench

pistolwrench Dremel jockey

Jul 27, 2009
    Yup, I am grumpy at times.

grump⋅y ********

 /ˈgrʌm[​IMG]pi/ [​IMG] Show Spelled Pronunciation [gruhm-pee] [​IMG] Show IPA
    &#8211;adjective, grump&#8901;i&#8901;er, grump&#8901;i&#8901;est. <TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD>surly or ill-tempered; discontentedly or sullenly irritable; grouchy</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pennypincher can trigger it in a heartbeat. :rofl:

My golfballing is done in batches. Every 8-12 weeks.
    But I don't think the OP needs it at this point.
    I say shoot the heck out of it, spend money on ammo.
    And then, 5000rds down the road(range), enhance and refinish.

I'd suggest using someone of proven competence to repair the bushing threads. This can be moderately difficult and if the repair goes bad.....
    the re-repair will be $.
  16. Got rid of those terrible rubber grips and threw on an extra pair that I have and put about 100 rounds through her without a hiccup. Now i just need to wait for the tap to show up in the mail tomorrow so I can clean up the threads and put some new bushings in.

17. jeremy stanke

jeremy stanke

Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  18. I picked it up for $400.00
  19. jeremy stanke

jeremy stanke

Nov 9, 2006
    wow, thats a crazy good price. nice job
  20. testosterone

Aug 26, 2003
    las vegas
    Call me crazy, I love the way this one looks the way she sits.