close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Picked up a Polish Radom P-64 :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Apr 18, 2013.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    This gun was on my "maybe" list for quite a while, but it certainly wasn't something I was actively looking for. I already own a VIS P35 and a MAG 98, so I wanted one of the small blowback variants to round off my Radom collection, so to speak. However, it was a great deal that presented itself to prompt me to finally pick one up. I got this very nice condition example out the door for just $185! :wow: Considering that I see them selling close to $300 on Gunbroker, I felt this was a great price in this condition. :)

The Radom P-64 is chambered for the 9x18 Makarov round and was introduced in the early to mid 1960s. They were built in Radom, Poland. They are a double action, fixed barrel, blowback pistol. The single stack magazine holds 6 rounds. Unlike the Makarov pistols, the safety/decocker does not lock the trigger. It also works the opposite direction, which I don't care for. I much prefer the Mak's safety off in the downwards position (like a 1911). Having said that, the P-64 is much slimmer than the Makarov pistol through both the slide and frame. I'm even comparing it to my single stack Russian Makarov.

As typical with stuff like this, the DA trigger pull feels like 15 to 20 pounds. Though I have not shot it yet, small 9x18 blowback pistols tend to be pretty hard on your hands and not a lot of fun to shoot. Refinement is not the strong point of these guns, but I find them very interesting. They are very similar to a Walther PP. As you can see from the stamp, mine was produced in 1974.

Any P-64 owners here? What are your opinions of the pistol?

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts. :cool:

Thanks! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    [​IMG]

heres my "pizza gun"

Got Marschals grips and wolff springs.

3. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

Aug 15, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    they are fun, very reliable and very well built.
    only downside i have seen is small sights, and very snappy recoil.

the recoil is not a prob if you are ready for it

now you need a Radom TT-33. Those are a blast too!

4. nathanours

nathanours Texan

That's pretty cool Brian. It's interesting how the slide serrations extend so much further on the right side of the gun than the left. Does it break down similarly to the Maks by pulling down on the trigger guard?

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    It looks nice with those grips.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, it's the same way, Nathan :)

7. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Nice looking little gun bac. :thumbsup: I have an IJ 70 that I installed the Makarov.com slide with high profile 3 dot fixed sights on. I have never tried the P64 but I like the 9X18. Congrats.

[​IMG]

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, the recoil isn't fun with these. It's even worse with my FEG PA63, as that has an aluminum frame.

As for the TR-33, the Tokarev round is a blast to shoot. I've got a CZ 52.

9. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    wolff recoil spring tames maybe 10 or 15 percent of recoil, the higher beavetail on grip helps too.

10. I had a Polish pal who swore by his P-64; meanwhile he would deride my Makarov as "only good for one thing" :upeyes:

Up until last Oct.-Nov. the local hardware store always had them in stock. $169 and brand new looking. Really nicely blued. Don't know if the price included holster, mags, etc. ala the Bulgie Maks...

Anyways, have thought several times about getting one, but could never quite get past the importer's rollmark on the ones I've seen. A small thing really, but on such a small gun it can look like a billboard.

Congrats on yours, Brian. It looks fine. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  11. RGbiker

RGbiker

Oct 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Good find and great price!

I had one.................and sold it. BIG mistake.

Early P64 had rounded hammer, later ('73) had spur hammer.

Stock DA pull is 24.5lbs. Polish safety?? Change out hammer spring to Wolff 18lb spring drops SA pull to about 4lb and DA to around 10lb.

Great little shooter, 6+1, with fixed barrel for good accuracy. Use heaver Wolff recoil spring to ease trigger slap.

Google: Polish P64 forum for lot's of good info.

12. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Terrible factory trigger pull, but they sure are pretty, especially when you dress them up.

[​IMG]

13. dotsun

dotsun conf t

Mar 25, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I have one that I keep in my truck tucked between the seats. Great little gun, especially after the Wolf spring conversion to soften the trigger pull.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Very nice

Yeah, I like the looks of them. I love the way the bottom if the slide is chamfered inwards.

15. I'm not sure but I think Wolff might make a replacement mainspring for them to lower the trigger pull. Nice pistol and a great deal Bac.

16. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I think the grips are red finished wattle (checkered obviously) from Marschal Grips, but I cannot find record of such at the moment.

You can work on the trigger pull to help it out some with the Wolff springs as mentioned. It's been so long (a shame huh) since I messed with mine I cannot remember what I did to it. I know I got my info from the p64 forum (p64resource.com)