Picked up a mint condition Smith & Wesson 5906! :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Very nice.....I had a 4006 but sold it before moving to Phoenix. Nice shooting pistol and one I wish I would have kept.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Yeah, I thought it was a later model. It's probably late 90's.

3. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Congrats bac! You're on a roll buddy! :thumbsup:

4. As a yoot, that and the 1006 were my dream guns. I came across one in nearly the same condition a couple of years ago for $450 with a few mags. I wasn't in a position to be spending money on guns so I walked away. I wish I would've found a way to pick it up, but oh well. Half the fun of acquiring them is the hunt. I will get one someday.

5. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

ah......HA!!!!!!

now I know!!!!! all this time I wondered where the hell you find these pistols!

they are a nice group of folks...but, watch out for the attack dog.

6. Price please, web site don;t show gun's or prices.

7. Yeah, I do most my business there. I also do all my Gunbroker transfers there.

In fact, I did business with the owners 20 years ago when they worked at another shop. :cool:

#27 bac1023, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  8. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

you mean the one across the street from another shop?

(I miss both the old shops...one was overpriced, the other had everything)

#28 jakebrake, Dec 14, 2013
  9. Which website? The gun hasn't been built in 15 years.

I paid $450 OTD.

#29 bac1023, Dec 14, 2013

10. Yeah, I used to go in both quite a bit when they were there. :cool:

11. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

This is one of those situations where the MIM parts are actually superior. S&W weren't exactly taking the time to hand-polish the critical surfaces on the hammers and other machined parts, so the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces was something of a crap shoot. The MIM replacements tend to be much smoother and produce better trigger pulls.

12. Nice! I bought my beater 5906 from aim when they were $299 a few years ago. Kinda like ruger wheel guns, 3rd gen steel smiths are built like tanks. Not sure how many rounds are through mine, but I know it runs like a clock with anything I feed it. I love the feel of steel!

13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats Brian! That thing looks brand new. :wow:

14. That hurts in a "wish I still had mine" kinda way. VERY good handgun in my exp. Congrats! Still trying to figure out, why I traded mine off years ago.

15. Cole125

Silver Member

Very nice Bac! :cool:

It's beyond me why S&W stopped making those...

16. Thanks Cole

Unfortunately, they stopped making a lot of great pistols...

17. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Congrats on a great gun, I love my 5906. I'm on my second, I ordered the first new on a special order and never should have let it go. The 5906 is hands-down my favorite 9mm handgun due to the slight recoil, excellent accuracy and tank-like durability. Mec-Gar mags are alI use in mine, I love the 17-rounders but the standard capacity 15s and the extended capacity 20s work with 100% accuracy. My current 5906 came with one factory mag, but after I replaced everything except the tube I installed the base adapter to make it into a mag for my 6906 and use it as a backup for that gun now.

Posted from my car phone.

#38 carbuncle, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  18. I love third gen Smiths. Congrats.

19. I would imagine costs to continue to build them was skyrocketing as well as the polymer market was taking off during the same period.
    Were they used to a great extent in LE?