close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up a couple USFA single action revolvers :):)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Mar 2, 2014.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Last week, I got a killer deal on two 5.5" USFA Single Action Army clones. The prices were so good that I couldn't leave the store without them both. I wasn't actively looking for one, but I always loved what USFA used to build. :)

USFA is an acronym for United States Fire-Arms. It is a relatively new company founded in 1993 in the old Colt plant that opened in the late 1880's. The company stated out building single action army clones, along with a wide variety of other single action revolvers. They were always 100% American made and built from the finest of materials. The company also produced a pump action "Lightning" rifle, which was a loose clone of the 1884 Colt Lightning. USFA even built a very limited number of 1911s for a couple of years starting in 2007. Sadly, USFA nearly went under a couple years ago and scaled their product line back to the basic SAA clone. Currently, they are not building anything of this nature. Instead, all USFA is focused on is building a strange plastic rimfire semi auto called the Zipgun. :headscratch:

To me, that pretty much means the company is now out of business. I do applaud them for finding a way to "save" the company, but its sad to see all the extremely fine firearms they produced become extinct. Fortunately for collectors like me, there are still plenty of the single action revolvers on the used market. Unfortunately, prices have gone up in most cases since they are no longer being built (they weren't cheap in the first place). Since I'm not a cowboy action junkie, I pretty much gave up on picking one up. As much as I admired the incredible workmanship, I just wasn't a big enough enthusiast to pay the asking prices, which were in the same range as a new Colt SAA. Even the bare bones USFA single action revolver without the fancy Turnbull finish generally bring over $1000 in nice condition. The case colored and blued models cost in the $1500 to $2000 range, depending on the exact configuration.

Needless to say, when I stopped in a local shop and saw two beautiful USFA Single Action Army clones finished by Turnbull I was surprised. You just don't see all that many of these things nowadays. When I saw the prices, I couldn't believe it. With my NRA discount, the price for each was just $650. Since I bought both of them, they got me out the door for $1350 after tax and everything. It was a lucky day for sure, as its not even a shop I generally visit. Normally their prices are high. Fortunately for me, they didn't know what they had and didn't do the research to see either. They had a used plain jane Uberti Cattleman right next to them for only $150 less. :animlol:

Both of these revolvers are in excellent condition. Really the only marks on them are on the cylinders. They have a turn line and some faint handling marks from being the contact point on hard surfaces. Other than that, you can't tell the guns are used. The screws have never been turned. There is no holster wear. The bluing on the barrels and grip frame is beautiful and the case coloring is magnificent, especially on the 38 special. As with any USFA revolver, you can feel the quality when you pick them up. The weight of them, couple with the smooth yet precise action just screams hand workmanship to a very fine level. The finishing was done by Turnbull to an equally fine level. :cool:

At any rate, that's enough rambling. As you can see, I'm pretty proud to be the owner of these two fine specimens. As mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of 1873 style single action revolvers, but how could one not be impressed with build quality like this?

I know there are several USFA owners here. What is your opinion of them? :dunno:

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :supergrin:

2. bac1023

bac1023

Here is the 45 Colt...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bac1023

bac1023

...and here's the same thing in 38 Special.

The glossy case colored frame looks like its on fire on this one!! The pics don't do it any justice whatsoever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bac1023

bac1023

While I had them out, I thought I'd take a pic of the two together. I also added in my Colt SAA for comparison purposes. :cool:

[​IMG]

5. raven11

raven11

Great purchase as always

I thought the company name looked familiar, hard to believe a company went from making +$1,000 revolvers to plastic zip guns

6. bac1023

bac1023

Yep

This is what they are nowadays. :sad:

http://www.usfirearms.com/

I'm sure they're decent quality and they're cheap enough to buy. Its just that's its about as different as you can get from what they did before. I guess drastic situations call for drastic measures to be taken. Obviously, building high end SA revolvers wasn't profitable for them. Manufacturing costs were high and when the economy tanked, so did their sales.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Nice buys!! Is there any weight difference between the two?

8. SJ 40

SJ 40

BAC
    Congrats on some of the finest SAA ever produced.
    Prior to them being known as USFA,when they opened their doors they were known as United States Patented Firearms.

They were sued by Colt and the name became USFA.
    The only company to ever out do colt as the finest SAA's produced at least in many shooters opinion. SJ 40

9. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks Josh :)

Yes, not surprisingly, the 38 Special weighs a good deal more with much less steel bored out of the barrel and cylinder. The 38 weighs a whopping 41.6oz. The 45 Colt weighs 37.4oz.

10. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Clack - clack - clack - clack.

:cowboy:

11. Chiefret

Chiefret

Those are beautiful. I love that case hardening. Great score as usual. Congrats.

12. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

Yep, four clicks, Steve ;)

13. bac1023

bac1023

I defintely think they're nicer than Colt's version.

...or at least the version Colt was building at the same time.

14. redrick

redrick

Very nice find . They are beautiful revolvers .

15. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Congrats again bac! The finish looks amazing! :thumbsup:

16. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks SJ

That's interesting. I heard there was some sort of lawsuit between USFA and Colt, but I didn't know the details.

17. plp

plp

Beautiful! Some day, after I win the lottery, I want to have you say, gee, I wish I had his collection.....

Until then, know I look to you for all things cool and unique.

18. plp

plp

BTW, are those Bisley grips?

19. bac1023

bac1023

No, Bisley grips curve back in towards the trigger guard. These are just standard SAA grips. :)

20. ca survivor

ca survivor

very nice Brian, congrats X2