close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Phonebook problem...still.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I used Microsoft Works Word Processor to make up a personal phone directory. I “assumed” after I typed in all the phone #’s in, I could hit a couple buttons and alphabetize the names. After all, if I were to add a new number anytime soon, it should alphabetize them…..right? Whatever, I can figure out how to do it. I asked this same question on this forum a year or two ago and no one could help.
    There HAS to be a way! :dunno:

#1 Generalcarry, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz
    Expand Collapse
    Annoying Member

Why do you use a word processor as an address/phone book when Windows includes a address book? BTW there are many free (read better) programs available that are designed specifically for that purpose and they will allow you to sort any way you'd like.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Microsoft Excel (or equivalent spreadsheet program) is a better product to use for tables and such like phonebooks.

How is the data arranged in Works? A table? Should be a way to highlight the table and sort it on one or more columns. I'm not familiar with it.

Google is your friend.

4. Generalcarry

Generalcarry
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

At the beginning I just wanted to keep a few friends phone #'s at hand. It grew into 4 printed pages not including names in the margins and on the back of the pages. I REALLY don't want to learn a spread sheet then retype all that info, but if I have to acquiesce and then ask the wife to type, so be it.