close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Personally owned AR15 for police use

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by ticktwrter, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ticktwrter

ticktwrter

Mar 9, 2009
    I hoping to get some help form those here. My department currently issues military surplus Colt rifles. I have one and it shoots great. The big problem is it a full barrel rifle and cumbersome for carry when needed. I'm trying to find policies of other departments that will allow officers to carry their own rifles. Currently my department won't allow personal rifles. I think that many officers already issued rifles would be willing to carry their own rifles which would allow the issued ones to go out to others who may not have their own rifles. For some reason my department is against personal rifle carry despite allowing officers to carry their own hand guns.

I would expect that anyone carrying his/her personal rifle would be required to take our rifle school as well as have the rifle inspected for quality. Any help or sample policies would be greatly appreciated.

2. railpig314

railpig314

Jun 25, 2015
    Hey,
    You could just get another upper and different stock for the rifle....
    My dept. issues rifles. They are all set up M4 style though.
    I would ask your admin. If they would allow you to swap out the upper receiver and stock.
    It would still be the same lower receiver.
    Good luck!
    Dave

3. batman4706

batman4706

May 24, 2013
    My old dept (Orange PD, Texas) allowed them, they had o meet certain specs on caliber etc and you had to complete a class. Beaumont PD Texas also allows personal rifles, with I believe about the same requirements. You could call or email and probably get copies.

4. DCSO0322

DCSO0322 GIGGITY

May 31, 2005
    Point of no return
    Our dept. allows personal rifles but they have to be mainly dead stock, factory built rifles. You cannot build a rifle and carry it, no magnified optics,(dept issued or personal), must have iron sights in addition to any red dot or other optics added, and have to be OK'd by our dept armor. You can add lights, foregrips, etc. but no changes to the original parts. Plus anyone wanting to carry has to complete the dept 3 day patrol rifle school.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  5. furetto7

furetto7 Galloglaich

Dec 11, 2001
    The Coastal Bend of Texas
    Keep in mind that we are a smaller department on the coastal bend of Texas. The department issue rifles are older Colt carbines with fixed carrying handles and no optics, officers may carry personally owned patrol rifles as long as they complete a Patrol Rifle course, have the approval of both the Patrol Division Commander and the Range Officer and either the rifle is in one of the issue calipers or the officer provides their own factory ammo. No a single officer carries the issue rifle, most are either 5.56 x 45mm/.223 or .308, there are .300 Blackout and 6.8 SPC rifles being carried. Sights range from open iron sights to ACOG/Eotech type optics, backup iron sights are required on any rifle with optics.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  6. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    Nice.

7. coastie kyle

coastie kyle

Sep 21, 2009
    FL
    We had the same rifles for years and we were also allowed to carry personal rifles instead if we chose. I always stuck with the agency rifle even though it was a full-size because I always had the mindset that if I used it it will be taken as evidence and i'd rather not get my personal rifle back a year later covered in rust. Now we have M4s, but that's something to consider when carrying your own gun.

8. R3508

R3508 Curmudgeon

Dec 9, 2005
    State of Jefferson USA
    Try the Tehama Co. Sheriff's Department in CA. Their deputies can carry personal ARs. It's a small department that maybe just can't afford to issue them... :2gun:

9. Frank V

Frank V

Jan 20, 2011
    S.W. Montana
    The only objection I had about carrying my own weapon was if I were involved in a shooting the dept. would take my gun for tests. I decided I'd rather they take their own gun for testing if I ever had to use it than mine.
    This may not bother others.

10. rds95991

rds95991

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm thinking that should that since it is your personal AR, it might be used to increase your personal liability should anything occur and you agency/county might use it to decrease their liability in the situation.