close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Permit renewal

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by VABOB, Nov 21, 2006.

1. VABOB

VABOB
    Expand Collapse

My permit expires in February 2007 and I live in Chesapeake, what is the process for renewal?

Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. alien-Glocker

alien-Glocker
    Expand Collapse

I just did my renewal in Fairfax County last week.

The process is the same as the original except that you add in three copies of your existing CHP,or at least thats what Fairfax requires..

You can down load the application fromthe Virginia State ploce web site.

Link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FormsPublications.shtm#Firearms

No SSN required. There may some other localnits, check over at

www.packing.org under Virginia.

Other than that, $50 and you’re good to go.

3. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

How long did it take?

I'm up for renewal shortly.

4. gmg-g20

gmg-g20
    Expand Collapse

+1 to what alien-Glocker said... just sent my renewal in week before last. vafish, they told me to expect 45 days, but should be sooner (hopefully).Has anyone heard anything about the Lifetime CHP for VA? I think I saw on Packing.org something about they might start it in June or July next year. I asked the court clerk and she looked at me like :shocked: And then told me they'd probably find out the week before they did it.

5. alien-Glocker

alien-Glocker
    Expand Collapse

The lifetime CHP still requires funding. It is expected that the bills will introduced during the upcoming 2007 General Assembly. VCDL will be watching closely I'm sure.

They did not specify how much time it will take, I suspect that 45-days is the stock answer they have been directed to say. This way they are with in the law and cause no problem.
    s.

6. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I was hoping you'd got it back already and could tell me how long they actually took.

Mine expires in less than 45 days and I haven't had a chance to get down to the court house.

May have to take up open carrying for a while.

7. ottobon100

ottobon100
    Expand Collapse

Did mine in July. Expect it to take a few days over the 45 day minimum requirement. Kind of the city's way of telling you that they are in charge and not you and they don't really have to follow a state law. Mine took 47 days. At 45 days I called to see what was going on, how I make a complaint since they were not in compliance with state law, and if I could come down to their office and pick up the complaint form. If other places in the state can do it in a week this is ridiculous. Everyone was nice about it, including myself when I talked with them but this was terrible service from our fair (?) city.

8. alien-Glocker

alien-Glocker
    Expand Collapse

Exercise your rights as a Commonwealth firearms owner. The law says 45-days and provides you with the following:

From the Virginia State Police website.

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.

Link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

9. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Hey fish,

I'm sure you know this... but don't let your current expire. They'll treat you like a new applicant if you do.

If you think that you'll run too tight on time, the Clerk can issue a temporary if they will do so (you're in NOVA, so maybe not).

If not, get a copy of your renewal application and carry it. I don't know any officers that would gig you in this situation... the guys I know would let you slide. And/but here again, you're in NOVA!

10. sigpro357

sigpro357
    Expand Collapse

Here is a question for you. Lets say your permit expires like mine in April 2007. You fill out the renewal and pay. Then your permit shows an expiration of April 2012. If the lifetime goes in. Will all those permits expiring after the lifetime date become lifetime permits also. Or are they only good until the date listed on the permit.

Even if the permits with experation become lifetime. You would still need a new permit due to having to present it in other states.

I don't know why they need funding anyway. Shouldn't they just be able to allow all current permits to run the course, and every new issued or renewal would state lifetime on it???????

11. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Good question,

I don't think anyone in authority has thought it out that far ahead yet.

Truckee,

I put in the renewal form yesterday at the court house. The nice lady at the desk said it would probably be after the new year when I receive my permit.

Doesn't make any sense to me, My address hasn't changed since I last got my permit. All they should have to do is run a NIC check and see that I have no arrests or outstanding warrants and issue the new permit. There is no reason they could not have done it while I waited there, other than they don't want to.

12. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

fish,

Bureaucracy in all its glory... NOTHING is allowed to be simple common sense. You should be running the system... you've got my vote.

sigpro357,

I have to hope that someone has given thought to this lifetime CHP deal. However, if they have, they aren't tellin' us about it.

Securing "funding," as I understand things, has to do with annual NCIC checks on permit holders. This is going to be charged with the VSP and they'll require a budget item to pay for it.

I read somewhere here on GOTOD, where a member ran the numbers. Using the average cost of administering our current permit system, the opinion was that the Lifetime CHP will save money.

Fish, did you write this?

13. gmg-g20

gmg-g20
    Expand Collapse

Hey fish, did you have to do your fingerprints again? They made me do mine and I was like WTF? If I had done anything that wouldn't allow me to renew my permit they would definitely know about it already since they had my prints to start with (even the deputy that did them agreed that this was stupid). Unless they just wanted to play with their new fingerprint computer or something.:upeyes:

14. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I'm in Fairfax County and believe it or not, as antigun as Fairfax is, they do not require fingerprints. ( I think someone figured out it cost them more money to do)

Truckee,

Wasn't me that figured out it was cheaper to issure a lifetime permit.

Considering how fast the VASP act on non-resident permit requests, I'd rather have the VASP handling resident permits than the individual counties. No reason a resident couldn't mail in their permit application just like a non-resident does.

But again I'm trying to be reasonable and make sense.

15. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

gmg,

If you're a renewal, the locality -cannot- require fingerprints again. Providing that you've not changed jurisdiction and possibly other technicalities that are not specified in the Code.

Code of Virginia

16. ottobon100

ottobon100
    Expand Collapse

Didn't know this. Mine was a renewal and Chesapeake required me to be fingerprinted again. No changes in jurisdiction, etc.. Maybe they want you to really get your money's worth for the $50.00!

17. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Truckee
    gmg,

If you're a renewal, the locality -cannot- require fingerprints again. Providing that you've not changed jurisdiction and possibly other technicalities that are not specified in the Code.

Code of Virginia
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening ottobon,

Contact Philip Van Cleave VCDL email and let him know you suffered this consequence.

IIRC, I read VCDL addressed Chesapeake on this issue and got it straight. Notify Mr. Van Cleave with your details. He will let you know the deal.

Requiring prints to renew is not a local option. For them to do so is a violation of the cited Code.

You could have, can, refuse to comply. Good advice, however, is for you to go forth armed with the Code section... you'll probably have to prove it to the Clerks.

If you live within our great Commonwealth, poking around the VCDL Site is good medicine.

18. gmg-g20

gmg-g20
    Expand Collapse

Truckee, thanks for the code and the heads up. I'll print the code section out and give it to the clerk when I pick my permit up (after they hand it over of course:supergrin: ) I thought something was a little screwy about all that. Definitely joining the VCDL asap!!:thumbsup:

19. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

Glad to help. Hope you get it straightened out. LOL, yeah, believe I'd wait to stir the poo -after- getting my permit too.

VCDL is a good watchdog and seems to contain motivated people. Well worth the $15 to aid its efforts and show state legislators that -we- can, and do, assemble.

p.s. Clarksville... down at Buggs? or another one?

20. gmg-g20

gmg-g20
    Expand Collapse

Truckee, yeah I'm down at Bugg's Island/Kerr Reservoir. I e-mailed Philip as well and he already got back to me and wanted the phone # to the clerk's office to let them know what's up:thumbsup: I think the poo is about to be stirred...:animlol: Definitely sending them my 15 bucks next week!!!