close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Permit holder charged with failure to notify Officer

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Feb 10, 2012.

1. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Well, the sequence of events went something like this:
    • Made a lane change without signaling.
    • Noticeable increased speed after lane change.
    • Clocked at 82 in a 60 MPH zone.
    • When stopped by police, alcohol on breath.
    • Did not inform officer of carry permit and firearms in the back seat.
    • Officer runs info, comes back showing driver has carry permit...
    • Resulting charges:
      • Fifth-degree felony transporting weapons while intoxicated,
      • Fifth-degree felony improper transport of firearms and
      • Failure to inform an officer
      • OVI
      • OVI test refusal
      • speeding and
      • not signaling a lane change.
    oops...

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Sounds like someone they should publish his prom picture and say how he was turning his life around :supergrin:

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
  4. walt cowan

walt cowan

Feb 18, 2005
    Absurdistan
    can't be gunkid, no permit and still doing time at club fed.:supergrin:

5. cpelliott

cpelliott

Sep 7, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    His lawyer should be able to get the failure to inform thrown out, because the 2 charges related to the transport clearly indicate that he would be testifying against himself by informing.

That is the crazy thing about failure to inform laws. They can only be used against people who are carrying perfectly legally.

6. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Really? Do you have some case law supporting that?
    Well, there are other laws to take care of those carrying illegally.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Once they fail to inform, they're no longer legal, in this jurisdiction.

8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    That's what I was thinking.

9. RichardinNC

RichardinNC

Jun 13, 2004
    Near the edge

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. cpelliott

cpelliott

Sep 7, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Are you saying you don't understand how duty to inform are not enforceable when the underlying activity is criminal? Any law that demands reporting or licensing can only be enforced to the extent that they don't require self incrimination.

As an example in Haynes v US, Haynes was charged with failure to register an NFA firearm. Since he was a felon, registering would be an act of self incrimination. SCOTUS agreed 7 to 1. The NFA was later modified to fix this. It's OK to make possession of something illegal. It's not OK to make the failure to report an illegal act a criminal violation.

The 5th amendment issue is why most states don't have duty to inform laws for firearms. It can sink an entire case. Say someone follows the law and self incriminates to follow the law. A search turns up a dead body in the trunk. It could all be fruit of the poisonous tree.

So back to my original point. Duty to inform laws essentially only affect law abiding citizens. People with illegal weapons do get charged, but the conflict with the 5th amendment is pretty easy to prove in court.

11. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    Teehee. His defense:

"Your Honor, the failure to inform charge should be dropped because I was drunk at the time & we all know what alcohol does to memory."

12. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    So are you advising someone to just not tell law enforcement anything, even if required by law if they want to carry illegally?

13. cpelliott

cpelliott

Sep 7, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I can't seem to find any such advice in the thread. My comments concern the legal issues of failure to inform laws. For some reason I can't figure out, a few people seem to regard the discussion as threatening. From the responses, it is clear that additional comment would not useful.

14. He will get a lot thrown out and the carrying guns will be pbj or thrown out. A van/suv has no place to lock a gun so you throw them on a seat. But I think they will plea him out to a guilty on the drinking and then some classes. That is a guess. They really treat drunks seriously now. The leo took the "shotgun approach" to the charges. :whistling:

15. I agree but they use the failure to inform as pc to go "fishing". :whistling:

16. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
    RS, not PC. And there's nothing wrong with someone breaking the law constituting RS. Break the law, and win prizes.

17. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I didn't say it is there, therefore I asked the question to clarify. Again, would it be your advice that if one chooses to carry illegally, as in this scenario, one should not make statements that would reveal the illegal carry?
    Yes.
    Who exactly do you believe feels threatened by the discussion. We can ask them if they do and why.

Why isn't the 5th amendment issue brought up in must inform states and used to overturn existing or defeat new legislation?