close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

PERL programmers?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rsagona1, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    Got an assignment today, programs needs to be written in Perl. Only have used C++, PHP and VB. I was told to use products by ActiveState. Do I just download the distribution package OR the development IDE kit? Thanks!

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    I program in PERL, but I have never programmed in a Windows environment. I just code from a text editor and test the programs from the command line, on a Linux server. You might try asking this in GT's tech forum. We have plenty of fellow geeks hanging out there. Eric

3. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    Thanks, Eric!

Would you mind moving this over there? I forgot about the tech forum.

4. jbeadles

jbeadles

Nov 19, 2002
    Richardson, TX
    I use Activestate all the time. You just need the distribution, you don't need the IDE. I code using a text editor called Crimson Editor, and run in a dos command window. Crimson Editor is a freeware editor that provides per-language, context based coloration for Perl.

5. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    Damn guys, Perl kicks ass! I'm a PHP & C++ guy, but this is a cake walk!

6. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    PERL is an outstanding language. They borrowed bits and pieces from many languages and made something a lot more powerful than they intended it to be. I do a lot of work with regular expressions and I especially like how PERL handles them. PERL does reg-exp's so well, PHP borrowed their functionality as well.:supergrin:

I work mostly in PHP these days, due to the type of work I do, but programs I write to perform scheduled tasks all get written in PERL. Eric

7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Perl is easy, and usually a free download, but some TOS prohibit free commercial use.

Webmonkey used to have PERL training.....

8. Lesh

Lesh

Jul 11, 2002
    Northern Colorado
    Everything I have ever done in PERL, I did with a text editor, and the LINUX PERL distribution.

9. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    My only displeasure is you can't compile it to a simple .exe and run it without distributions.

10. Fred

Fred Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    I got it - will do.