close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

perfect for PAF.

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by atmarcella, Apr 8, 2008.

1. chowchow

chowchow

Jan 15, 2007
    Houston
    Okey!! Cute !:supergrin:

[​IMG]

Itong mga junk C130s ng PAF sa Cebu, puede pa yata ito e refurbished?

[​IMG]

2. gen1

gen1

Jan 22, 2005
    Philippines
    according to the wikipedia article lumalabas na approx 10million USD ang isa.

magkano kaya yan kung may tong-pats ? :lol:

3. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Phil. Air Force, 99% air, 1% force daw.

4. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    I thought the US paid most of the cost to refurbish the C-130s that were "mothballed" by the PAF. The government would only pay a token amount of $100,000 for each aircraft that is repaired in Malaysia. I believe we now have a total of ten flying C-130s (both refurbished and given by the US Armed Forces). The worst number that we had was two flying C-130s when relationship between the US and the Philippines became cold due to the bases issue.

I doubt that those C-130s and Nomads parked in Mactan Airbase would still be salvageable. The airport is near the sea, and corrosion is a big factor to consider when thinking about rebuilding those aircraft.

Sayang.

BTW, Canada is set to retire its fleet of C-130H and replace them with the J version. Their F5s were even scrapped because there were no takers.

5. Clusterbomb

Clusterbomb

Jan 22, 2008
    If we now have 10 operational C-130s then that's good. I just hope they allocate enough money to maintain the fleet in ready, tip-top condition. I heard it costs a hell lot of money to maintain one. Talagang sayang kung pababayaan uli.

Yes corrosion would have defintely set in. Salt spray carried by the air can wreak havoc to metal stuff in a wide area. That's why in the States they mothball planes in selected desert areas known for their absence of humidity. May balot pa- parang cocoon.

6. Those planes used to sit at the Mactan (Benito Ebuen) Air Base tarmac until last year's ASEAN summit, when they were transferred to the location shown. Either they want to make room for the VIP's planes, or they want to hide our "Air Farce", to avoid any snide comments from those heads of state about how easy it would be to overrun the Philippines. Either way, those planes are cannibalized to keep those in service flying.

There used to be some vintage C-123s when I first landed in Mactan; only one is left and is on display.

7. chowchow

chowchow

Jan 15, 2007
    Houston
    10 operational C130s , at least meyron. Marami tayong aspiring pilots from the PMA.

8. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle

Mar 2, 2008
    Clicked the link and read the article. Nice!

It was interesting to see that Blackwater was listed as a user (under the u

9. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle

Mar 2, 2008
    Clicked the link and read the article. Nice!

It was interesting to see that Blackwater was listed as a user (under the US) right next to some South American countries.

10. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    Our "flying C-130" is down to only 4 planes and 1 of them is undergoing IRAN

11. chowchow

chowchow

Jan 15, 2007
    Houston
    4 C130s lang? Most troops and cargo will go by ship then.

12. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    Yup, 4 in flying condition during the time that picture was taken, around 2 weeks ago and 1 is under some kind of repair.

13. chowchow

chowchow

Jan 15, 2007
    Houston
    Most of these are parking at the tarmac so even 4 can do the airlift requirements of the AFP. Besides it doesnt take long to make two trips in a day for one aircraft if emergencies arise.

14. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Actually IIRC PAF was down to two Hercs, somewhat recently upped to three
    operational. The funds for a fourth (refurb) have been set aside, but nothing
    has happened in the 2 years since.

All the other Herc airframes in possession are BER even with US support.
    Got little to do with salt corrosion, though.

15. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    US Special Forces C-130 Combat Shadow:
    [​IMG]
    It's a delight to witness the startup of the C-130. The APU starts up, followed by the engines. It's nice to see the engine gauges come to life. :)

I've been inside a C-130 Combat Shadow of the Special Forces that was on static display at the Lethbridge Airshow last year. It's got lots of equipment inside, and it can also refuel other aircraft in midair. I spoke to the pilot about comparing the C-130 he was flying to the C-130J, and he is not comfortable with having to use an aircraft in combat missions that is highly computerized.

US Navy Carrier-Based AWACS:
    [​IMG]

US Navy Prowler:
    [​IMG]

B-25 Mitchell:
    [​IMG]

16. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    I was told that 1 engine needs about a drum of gas to start up, thats about 4 drums or 200k for starting up a C-130... Compared to a huey which consumes about a drum of gas for an hours flight, the herc is thirsty :)

17. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    That's true with military aircraft which is geared toward performance. Just observe a C-130 taking off. You could see a black trail of smoke from its engines. Aircraft engines are usually inefficient at ground level, but are very efficient the higher the altitude. That is why the propellers of the C-130J have been redesigned for fuel efficiency.

Even the Fokker 50 that PAL used to fly was never a revenue-generating aircraft even when fully-loaded. It was based on a military design with performance as its main goal.