close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

perfect .30cal? help me decided , SCOPES too

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Mud, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Mud

Mud

Feb 18, 2002
    Ok here is the deal my dad and i are looking into a guided hunt, most likely for deer in Texas or Scakatcuan(SP) and im trying to figure out what rifle/ scope combo to look at

I want a .30 cal and i am looking at bolt guns in 3 calibers

30-06
    .300 win mag

what do you think would be the best deer round for say 25-400 yard shots ?

any scope suggestions would be appreaciated
    thanx

2. SMUNK

SMUNK Detached Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Santa Monica, PRK
    .308 might be a little light for the biggest game in Sascatiawan (sp?) and .300 win mag is overkill for Texas deer as they tend to be smaller.

.30-06 splits the difference.

3. 308 or 30.06 would both suit your needs. They are pretty close in performance in the lower bullet weights and would both kill a deer equally well. The 06 would be my choice if you plan on hunting game other than deer? I guess the decision I would make is whether I want a short action on long action cartridge. Either way you can't go wrong! Esox357

4. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI

As for scopes, Leupold or Nikon, nothing over 12 or 14 power.

Regards,
    Glen

5. turq

turq

Aug 21, 2003
    N.E. Oregon
    I vote for the Ruger 308 standard blued model with(from Brownells) a Timney trigger/sear; and a Tubbs speed lock spring/firing pin. You and your dad can install via intructions then go with low Ruger rings and the Leupold Compact 3x9. Use 165gr Horn factory ammo and you will be set! This combo will give you accuracy and you could hunt anything in the lower 48. .02

6. SMUNK

SMUNK Detached Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Santa Monica, PRK
    He did indicate he would be hunting in Canada as well.

Do you all think .308 is enough for big elk and such?

7. Esox got it right, i prefer short actions i am a lever man mostly, but having a shorter bolt and reciever also means a lighter rifle (308) i suppose and you dont have to move the bolt as far. Oh and the 300 gets real not fun real quick on the range even in the wsm.
    kt

8. you asked for scopes to, if money wasnt the issue i would most likely check out a leupold. Recently i have discovered the Bushnell Banner series. I put a 3-9 x40 with a circle plex style reticle they call it the BDC model on my t/c omega 50 cal its the best reticle i have seen and the scope has been abused, in one week in a pick up down some seriously rough roads. 30 rounds through it on the range and a week of woods walking and the gun is still hitting dead center best part is the scope only cost 80 bucks! I love when being cheap pays off!

kt

9. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

Aug 5, 2003
    up close & personal
    here is my indestructable .308

its a remington LTR with a bushnell elite 4200 2.5x10 scope on it
    when i am hunting i am not kind to firearms and this is a robust package that can take field abuse...this one is a keeper

10. A.F. Lineman

A.F. Lineman

Jul 16, 2001
    Oregon
    I like the 30-06. I have taken many animals coyotes, mule deer, elk (both Rosevelt and Wapiti), and black bear with mine. All went down when they were hit. As with any firearm you need to practice. I practice all year long with my hunting rifles, at varying/unknown ranges. Gets me good at estimating where my bullets will hit and what ranges I am good at. Just takes a little time and I owe it to the game that I take.

11. Mud

Mud

Feb 18, 2002
    i have been looking at leupy scopes just bought my dad one for xmas in the vari X II 3-9 x 40
    also have a 2-7 on my guide gun
    thinking something like 2.5-10 or what ever that one is

leaning toward a LTR in 308 with a leupy

and getting a TC encore in .50 cal black powder then adding a .300 win bbl

this will fill my NEED for a .308 and a .300 then i can get the 30-06 in the bdl i have been eyeballing, later

hey fiber how is that LTR for walking?

i am usuallay a lever man but i dont see the 45-70 being a 200 yard gun

12. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

Aug 5, 2003
    up close & personal
    not bad at all...the rifle without scope is 7-1/2lbs.
    the barrel is not a 1" diameter it is .850" so it is also not as thick as it looks in pics and is fluted. the balance is great.

it has a 20" barrel so it is handy in the thick and shoots well off hand because the mass cancels out some heartbeat and small muscle vibrations.

a perfect rifle in my opinion. i bought mine specificaly for hunting

13. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

Aug 5, 2003
    up close & personal
    Mud,

if you do end up getting one of these, be prepared to have the trigger adjusted before you take it hunting...mine came stock with an 8lb. trigger and i had it reduced to 3-1/2lbs. i like three and a half because i usually hunt with gloves on

14. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Sep 19, 2001
    Michigan, U.S.A
    Look at the Tikka T3 Light rifle. I now know of three other guys at my sports mens club that have fell in love with this rifle in two different cals than mine. As far as cals go if you go with a .308 then it is a short action and can almost do anything the 30-06 can do in a smaller package. If you are looking at the 30-06....might as well go .300 Win mag and run 150gr rounds for smaller game and load 180gr for bigger deer and elk. I have always been a Leupold man and still am but look at the Zeiss Conquest series of scopes. I put one on my Tikka and for under $400 it is a very nice scope indeed. JMTCW...YMMV-Trapfan

15. I was wandering about that tikka rifle looked good especially for the price. and they are owned or produced by beretta so i figured they must be good! ;) Mud You mentioned you liked levers... There is alot more out there than the slow as molasses 45-70, 35 rem and 30-30. If you would consider a lever I am shooting a browning blr in 308, and my grandfather a winchester model 88 (i think) in 308. blr has a bolt system better than a few bolt actions. How ever, i just dont feel right with a lever at 200 plus not sure why.
    Now i want that damn tikka even more than i did.
    what calibers does that come in?

kt
    w

16. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Sep 19, 2001
    Michigan, U.S.A
    I believe you can get it in .223 Rem all the way up to .338 Win mag. Also Tikkas are imported and owned by Beretta but they are made by Tikka on the same machines as Sakos as they come down the same line. Just depends what day the plant is making what rifle in Finland.;Q

17. skfullgun

skfullgun

Jul 4, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Remington 700 in 30/06 with a Leupold scope. Done deal.