Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

People who have carried a 30 and 36...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Inebriated, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    Have you found any significant difference in comfort between the 36 and the 30? I am looking for my first carry gun, and I'm wondering if the 36 the 36 offers any advantage as far as comfort, to make the 4 less rounds worth it? The 30 has more pros than cons (uses mags from my 21, has a more full grip, and has more capacity with it's standard mags), but I don't want to rule out the 36 is it makes carrying any better.

Input is appreciated!
  2. I don't have a 30 but I carry a 19 and a 36. I can tell you that the 36 is more comfortable to me and I'm not particularly worried about having less rounds. I have a spare mag or two if I needed. Having said that, the 36 is not my EDC at this point - the thicker grip 19 is.

3. Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    Guess I should have said 19/23/30 lol...

But you don't feel a big difference in size?
  4. Yes but, to me it's not a big deal. (6'3 and 225) To you, it could be. The slide is almost the same. The 36 grip is slightly shorter and way thinner making for better comfort / concealment. Go handle both and see which one works better for you.
  5. Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    Yeah, 6'1' 250 here...I could conceal the 21 if it weren't for the longer grip. Both guns feel good to me, so obviously I'll go for the higher capacity, but yeah, it sounds like the 36 doesn't offer much benefit for me.
  6. The 36 is 1.13 wide and the 30 is 1.27. 1/8" isn't much differance, 4 rounds could be a world of differance.
  7. TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Comparing my 19,23,32 to my 36 when I used to have one, the 36 is a lot easier to conceal.
  8. Your choice of holster could make more of a difference.

A g36 with a thick leather holster that has the belt loops over the gun will be thicker overall then a g30 in a thin kydex holster with widely spaced belt loops.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  9. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Metro Cleveland
    I found the 36 grip to be uncomfortable. It's thin, but "long". It seemed unnatural. It's a personal choice. The reason I no longer own a 36 was reliability issues. I find the 30sf to be perfect for me.
  10. istricky

Aug 26, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I would not recommend a Glock as a first carry gun. Get alot of practice shooting and move into a Glock when your shooting skills get more skilled. Just my opinion. Would not trust a unskilled shooter with a Glock.
  11. hunter 111

hunter 111

Jan 29, 2012
    TRAVEL -
    you are thinking about it wrong
    what you should be asking yourself is a 36 or a 19

there is no reliability issue with either of mine

the 30 is just to big realistically speaking although I am sure some do it
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. hunter 111

hunter 111

Jan 29, 2012
    TRAVEL -
    big enough difference

talk about loaded weight now

7 rounds is enough in a real world most all gun fights are over in a second or less
  13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

Out of curiosity what gun have you had good results with with new shooters?

I have handled both and decided the G36 wasn't that thinner so I went with the G30.
  14. :dunno:

The exact opposite.
  15. linkscoach

linkscoach SFC OIFIII OEFX

Aug 12, 2011
    Central Kansas

The biggest difference in my opinion isn't the size but the weight. I carry a G30 comfortably with a good belt. It is however much heavier than a G36. When you carry a 30 you are going to know it's there. The 36 on the other hand is easy to forget about.

If you are looking for a pistol that will be your only carry weapon the G36 wins IMO. You'll be more likely to carry the 36 because it is so much lighter.

The other issue is carrying a spare magazine. A double stack mag full of .45 is very thick, and also very heavy.

One final opinion since I seem to be full of them today. Round count is not important if the weapon of choice is to uncomfortable for you to carry all the time every day. In my experience lighter and smaller is better for someone new to CC.

Both are fine weapons just be realistic with yourself and buy the one that you know you will use.

16. bcj128

Oct 3, 2008
    La La Land
    I had a G36, but sold it...

Currently I carry a G19, G21 Gen4, or a LC9. I sometimes regret selling the G36, but yu can only have so many guns on my income. Recoil on the G36 was much more harsh compared to its bigger brother (G21).
  17. dango

Jun 9, 2008
    I remember when six rnds. was enough.The G36 , 6+1 230 grn. JHP , Hell one shoulder hit will knock you on you're ass. I also carry an extra mag and I don't plan on hanging out in East LA.!
    How many rounds do people feel comfortable with , just in general?
  18. I should add that the G36 is my favorite CCW weapon as far as comfort and concealment IMO it can't be beat. If capacity is an issue for you then, the G30 might be a better choice. I carry the G19 but the G36 is still my favorite.

BTW, The grip profile doesn't feel strange to me at all. I find it very natural and I shoot the 36 very well because of that.
  19. ATW525

Sep 17, 2006
    Concord, NH
    I've owned and carried both. I owned the 36 first, and then got the 30 and at first it didn't seem that much more difficult to carry. After carrying the 30 for a while, I went back to the 36 on a whim one day. I was amazed at how much easily the 36 seemed to carry when going back, and I quickly sold the 30.

In fairness, I don't have the 36 anymore, either, because I moved away from .45 ACP.
  20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    I have found that the 30 is slightly butt heavier than the 36 and that when carried at the same height (same position on belt in the same style holster) it carries a little less comfortable for me.