close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pentium D motherboard recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Dec 31, 2008.

1. havensal

havensal
    Expand Collapse
    Nozzle Jockey
    CLM

A friend has a Pentium D mother board that has given up the ghost. I am looking for a new one with onboard graphics and 4 RAM slots. The only 2 I have found available so far are this one and this one.

I haven't had any experience with either manufacturer. I trust Asus, MSI and Biostar. How are EVGA, ECS and XFX boards? :dunno:

Know of any other options? :wavey:

2. Big Al 24

Big Al 24
    Expand Collapse

I've only owned EVGA of those and my mainboard and graphics card have been fine so far. They also offer a lifetime warranty and step-up program depending on what you get. I think both EVGA and XFX boards are just re-badged Foxconn boards. My EVGA 680i boots in at 3.15 ghz with a C2DE6600 and has for more than 2 years now. I can crank it up to 3.6 but I'll boot reliably at 3.15 so that's where I keep it.

3. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer
    Expand Collapse

I would go with the 129$ one based on that it can accept a quad 4 for hi end games. You have XP or vista? I learned that XP can olny support 2 GB of memory after I opened it, fried the first MB as P1 had been put upside down at the factory (and I couldn't find the reciept of course) and ended up getting a better MB that I could go with the latest stuff. However, for graphics intensive applications such as GTA IV, it probably won't work well w/o an additional vidio card (9800 GT)

#3 3 weelin geezer, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  4. havensal

havensal
    Expand Collapse
    Nozzle Jockey
    CLM

We went with the EVGA. So far, so good. It appears to be too new for updated drivers or BIOS. It isn't happy with 4GB of ram, but I haven't determined what the issue is yet. It may be the ram, not the MB. :dunno:

5. volsbear

volsbear
    Expand Collapse
    IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

You NEED a flux capacitor.