Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Pentium D motherboard recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Dec 31, 2008.

1. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    A friend has a Pentium D mother board that has given up the ghost. I am looking for a new one with onboard graphics and 4 RAM slots. The only 2 I have found available so far are this one and this one.

I haven't had any experience with either manufacturer. I trust Asus, MSI and Biostar. How are EVGA, ECS and XFX boards? :dunno:

Know of any other options? :wavey:
  2. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    I've only owned EVGA of those and my mainboard and graphics card have been fine so far. They also offer a lifetime warranty and step-up program depending on what you get. I think both EVGA and XFX boards are just re-badged Foxconn boards. My EVGA 680i boots in at 3.15 ghz with a C2DE6600 and has for more than 2 years now. I can crank it up to 3.6 but I'll boot reliably at 3.15 so that's where I keep it.

3. I would go with the 129$ one based on that it can accept a quad 4 for hi end games. You have XP or vista? I learned that XP can olny support 2 GB of memory after I opened it, fried the first MB as P1 had been put upside down at the factory (and I couldn't find the reciept of course) and ended up getting a better MB that I could go with the latest stuff. However, for graphics intensive applications such as GTA IV, it probably won't work well w/o an additional vidio card (9800 GT)
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  4. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    We went with the EVGA. So far, so good. It appears to be too new for updated drivers or BIOS. It isn't happy with 4GB of ram, but I haven't determined what the issue is yet. It may be the ram, not the MB. :dunno:
  5. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    You NEED a flux capacitor.