close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pennsylvania man,65,fatally shoots teen who pushed him off bicycle...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by snubfan, Jan 26, 2012.

1. snubfan

snubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Giant Member

2. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't mess with an old man. He just might kill you.

That sums is up. Three teens (strong arm?) robbing a 65 year old...I'm glad he had a firearm and was able to stop them. One is stopped for good.

3. Thx-1138

Thx-1138
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Props to the old dude, and to the police for arresting the criminals and releasing the victim.

And people wonder why I'm looking for a better concealed carry cycling solution.

This weekend, I'm test-driving a Ruger LCP, LCR and a S&W Bodyguard 380.

Criteria:

• Fits in jersey pocket without dragging it down too much (relatively lightweight)
    • Can be fired while wearing summer, fall/spring, and winter cycling gloves.
    • Can be fired accurately while under the after-effects of a 100-mile ride.

#3 Thx-1138, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. todd_g

todd_g
    Expand Collapse

Goes to show it can happen anywhere, making a withdraw from an ATM to well bicycling on a trail. There are some real nut cases out there that would consider this 65 year old man a child killer, just like the folks here in Grand Rapids, MI who said the man who defended himself against a crazy man wielding a plastic trash can lid who was going to use it as a club at a gas station ( 45 lb trash lid )

5. hawgrider

hawgrider
    Expand Collapse

Thx-1138
    You don't need a new gun you just need one of these.

http://pistolwear.com/index.htm
    Don't know anything about them but came across it a while and bookmarked it just in case.
    Check out the video with it. Seems like something that could work. Have considered it myself for running
    and walking.

#5 hawgrider, Jan 26, 2012
  6. Thx-1138

Thx-1138
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I've got a SmartCarry, and don't like it for reasons that would also apply to the linked holster. Worn under your jersey/shorts, it's a sweat-magnet. Riding a road bike in the drops, the gun butt digs into your gut and/or the muzzle impacts the horn of the saddle (risks pushing the gun out of the soft-bottom holster). Bounces a lot.

Running and mountain biking for shortish distances, maybe those aren't problems. But I do endurance road cycling (google: randonneuring); a holster that is mildly uncomfortable at the start of a ride will most likely be excruciatingly painful at the end of the day (or days) - especially if it is strapped around the waist/hips.

Kind of like the difference between wearing one of those holsters for a 5k and a double marathon.

The linked holster requires a two-hand draw, even after moving aside the cover garment. Not really what I'm looking for.

#6 Thx-1138, Jan 26, 2012
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member Millennium Member

I recall a gent who carried TWO tire pumps. One was a "shark stick" or "bang stick" modification. While only one shot/contact......
    When I mountain biked I had a "bag" that fit in frame. Trianglar with couple pockets. One just right for pistol. Add a string to zipper for easy opening...

8. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

I don't blame the old man. He had no idea if they just wanted to rob him, beat him, kill him, set him afire, etc... The thing is they TRIED to hurt him and he defended himself.

Lesson to other would-be little thugs, you can die doing those kind of things.

Deaf

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Pretty clear cut case of "disparity of force", it looks like.

Having taken some spills while riding I'm really leery of carrying on my person. I'm still looking for a good solution.

10. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Average Guy

Lol @ the media for completely leaving the "robbery" portion of the story out of the title. Changes the context of the shooting completely.

11. Snafu

Snafu
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Here's a better account of the incident. Read some of the comments below, it appears many people are sick and tired of being or reading about crime victims and are ready to fight back.

I carry regularly when hiking or camping. Many folks find that silly. I don't.

http://www.wgal.com/news/30301618/detail.html

12. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse

First things first, children, let's have a little more respect for those twice, three times your age. "Old guy", "old dude", really? Old is Dragoon44...:cool:

Now, strip the emotion from this.
    • Three men attacked one man.

• One attacker wore, or was supposed to be wearing, an electronic monitoring device placed on his ankle by probation officers that morning.

• That attacker was to report to his probation officer that afternoon.

• Instead of reporting, or perhaps on the way, he was shot and killed.

• This was his last in a series of criminal acts that day.

Actions have consequences...

13. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

Whatever the man did he did it right. A good thing he had the gun on himself rather than in a bag on the bike. Brings up a good question on how do you secure your gun on your person when riding so that you can easily get to it. Getting knocked off the bike could have caused the gun to be dislodged from his holster if it didn't have very good retention.

14. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

:supergrin:Yep reducing the criminal population is always a good thing! Good shoot!

15. robhic

robhic
    Expand Collapse
    WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin: I just love that line! Puts the whole thing in perspective really well. I'm still chuckling at this one.

16. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

So the creep with the monitoring device and date with the probation officer is now in the Prison Of No Parole (PONP.) I.E. dead.

Just where he belongs! Sometimes there is justice in the world, even if it's only street justice.

Deaf

#16 Deaf Smith, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  17. glock_collector

glock_collector
    Expand Collapse

Good job to the Ol' guy... I will donate the ammo to refill his mag!

18. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I think it's important to note that pushing a 65 yr old off a bike could cause significant damage to the older person....depending the person's condition. I don't think it changes the justification for the response; however I think it should be an additional consideration when assessing the severity of the attack.

19. jack76590

jack76590
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone heard what handgun victim was carrying, ammo used, carry method?

20. Wurger

Wurger
    Expand Collapse

I currently use my LCP. Rode 25(+)miles today at 16mi/hr (older roadie trying to get back into the game). It works fine in my jersey pocket but I'm thinking I may want something bigger than .380ACP for the pitbull that takes me off my bicycle and then works on clamping his jaws on my neck. I've seriously looked at the options and I keep returning to the CM/PM9(or the new CM40). Light weight, small size more penetration/power.

#20 Wurger, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
Duty Gear at CopsPlus