close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pencil barrel??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by meathead19, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Picked up this on trade and thought I'd put up some pics....

Is this a pencil barrel? S/N is DF###US.

Made in 1987.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont

3. Thanks.

Can you say if its pencil?

4. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    I can't from the pictures,what you would need as a picture is with the slide locked back or with the barrel it's self. SJ 40

5. Will these work?

6. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    it's had to say with only one gun for comparison, but it doesn't look like the "pencil barrel Glocks" congrats any way, on a fine firearm.

7. Thanks.

I have a gen2 19....if the barrels appear the same, then it's NOT a pencil?

8. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    It doesn't appear to be to my naked eye but you can't really tell by looking most of the time. If the barrel diameter is the same as your G19 then no it's not.

9. I traded my 19 gen4 w/glock nite sites for this junker.

The internal parts have been upgraded, so it's not all original.

Consensus was do it.....so I did.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    I'm not sure. Here's a post with comparison pictures:
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18695913&postcount=7

Only real way to know would be to take one of the newer barrels and slide it into the hole from outside the slide. If the new barrel fits, the original barrel is not a pencil barrel.

I think the pencil barrels were only in the A series.

11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    I would say no. In the pencil version, the barrel cut doesn't break the bevel cut, it looks like yours breaks that line.

12. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Jan 12, 2012
    Tough to tell because the light isn't the same on your pic...but it looks to be more "not".

[​IMG]

13. Just tested....the gen 2 19 barrel fits in the 17 slide. But, the bevel cuts look different.

the 19 cuts about twice as much down in the barrel front....very minor cut in the 17.

14. Tried to do similar light....Still hard to say.

Ignore the socks/flops fashion statment. Yes, I'm standing on bathroom sink.

15. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    Nope, it's not a 'pencil' barrel.....they stopped long before your gun was made....around prefix AM (IIRC).

AF is.....AP isn't.
    [​IMG]

16. trees4

trees4

Aug 13, 2009
    I'd never heard of such a thing as a "Pencil-barrelled G-Lock" before. Heard of it in AR-15s and S&W K-frames, but not the good ol' "Hockey Puck".

Took a look at one of my Gen 1s (CAXXX) and it appears to have the slightly thinner barrel, and the hole drilled into the front of the slide doesn't interrupt the line of the bevel at the top. This gun also doesn't have the Frame cuts behind the locking block, and its recoil spring is not captive... Not sure when they started either of those changes.

Checking my other Gen1, (BSXXX), it has the higher cut indicative of the non-pencil barrel, and both barrels are polygonal rifling, but they will interchange in each others' slides. BSXXX also doesn't have the frame cuts behind the locking block, but it does have the captive guide rod/spring. I think BSXXX has had its internals replaced at some point.

Both Gen1's have Austrian NPV proof marks on frame, slide and barrel.

Weird thing I just noticed; After the serial number and the proof mark on the barrel are three letters...On CAXXX it says "ETY", on BSXXX it says "ITT"

Anyone have any idea what these letters mean?

Thanks!

17. Z71

Z71

Oct 29, 2006
    OK
    I had thought maybe my old G17 with an AW prefix was a 'pencil barrel'...but no..a bit of comparison and it's not a pencil barrel. I think mine is a 1986 vintage G17...

18. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    What's the date code on the barrel? (the three small letters to the right of the serial number)

19. Z71

Z71

Oct 29, 2006
    OK
    Hmmm..had to go dig it from the pistol safe...barrel code is PTH

I think it's a September 1986 vintage 'slick-grip' according to a serial # check one of the Glock info pages used to provide