close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

pellet gun for back yard pests?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Snaps, May 30, 2012.

1. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Mainly groundhogs... I have one that I've owned for years, that hits groundhogs and they walk away, this is a problem for me.

I live in a town now so I can't go out with the 22 or 9mm like I could a few years ago so I think this is a good plan. Do they make a pellet gun that can kill small varmints?

2. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Look here
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyO7dcF1n8"]Hog Hunting with Gamo Hunter Extreme Air Rifle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 30, 2012

3. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10

Close range and shot placement to the head you can kill anything with a stone.. I have kill many squirrel with my crossman 177 cal pump anything is possible at short range

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Funny timing of this thread...

I just picked up a new Remington "Black Magic" air rifle last week. It is rated at 1200 FPS. I just took out a large squirrel, a rabbit, and a BIG groundhog with it on Sunday. All were head shots, and every animal hit the dirt without so much as a flinch. I am really impressed with that rifle. And it was only $100 at the local Dick's Sporting Goods.

5. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Ive watched 2 pellets hit this thing today broadside in the heart/lung area and neck at around 50 yards and it just jumps and runs.

Ill haveto check that gammo one out. Thats the brand i have now actually

6. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Generally speaking, Gamo is about the best you can buy right now in the pellet rifle world. I just wanted a cheapie and hoped it would work well, and I am very impressed with the Remington I got.

I have watched pellets bounce off of groundhogs from about 15 yards away. That is when I started going for head shots only, and I was amazed at how quickly it drops them.

7. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

FWIW. .22 gallery shorts are just as quiet as an air rifle. Not the best option if you have to do it a lot, but can be useful occasionally. Or so I've heard. :whistling:

I've always wanted an Airforce Talon but have a hard time dropping the price of a new Glock on one.

8. Nutt51

Nutt51

My Benjamin finally died, It was a .22 cal and took out over 50 squirrels and a load of chipmunks the last few years.
    I got tired of the pumping and wanted to upgrade.
    I am leaning to the barrel break or side cocking RWS rifles.
    One air gunner told me, .177 for feathers and .22 for fur.
    Here's the ones I'm looking at, the model 34 Panther, and
    the Model 48 side cocking.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/rws.html

9. 58duck

58duck

GAMO . . . Whisper . . . exceptionally quiet and even more accurate . . .

10. Jefs

Jefs CLM

Yeah, when I was a kid I decimated greatly the neighborhood squirrel population with a crossman 760 pump. Not from fifty yards, though.

11. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

Just spend the money and buy a suppressed .22LR bolt action rifle and use .22L CBs and you'll be ok.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  12. Averageman

Averageman

One of my co-workers has a game camera on his Chicken house and a .270 by the door.
    I asked if he had a .22 and he was pretty pissed. Whatever it is he wants to kill it hard.
    Aparently something got over the fence and got 11 hens. Chewed the heads off and left the bodies untouched.

13. faceplant

faceplant

For the win.

My .22 suppressed is quiter than any hard hitting pellet gun.

14. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

This video is going to get someone hurt. If it hasn't already. Yeah it'll do it, sometimes...

Not even close, but maybe you're basing that statement on what you can find at Academy or Walmart. Try online at Airguns of Utah or Pyramid Air or other sites. Gamo is good, but not the Best...You know what I mean.

I have a Stoeger .177 that will push 900fps and 15flbs at the muzzle with a 11.7grn pellet and my Benjamin Trail NP 1100 will push a .22 - 14.3grn pellet at 900fps with 25-29ftlbs from the muzzle.

It only takes about 4ftlbs to push through a rabbits skull. 5-6 for Squirrel through mink type critters, and 7-8 for ground hog or rockchuck. If you want coons and possums you'll need the 14-17ftlbs based on angle of attack. (between the eyes or temple area) Both these rifles are piston fired and are sub $300.00 guns. The Stoeger is a steal at $180.00.

Now if you want a really nice breakbarrel piston driven rifle, you'll need to invest in some good old European designs like RWS or something like that. Then if you get rich all of a sudden there are the PCP air rifles like Daystate and Edgun which will run in the 1-2 thousand range...

To answer the OP, your groundhog problem can be solved by traps too, in case you don't want to up grade the rifle. A live trap is about 15 dollars and is re-usable. However, if you want a good rifle, the GAMOs and Benjamins at Wally World will do the job. Just make sure you get one with good velocity and energy. You'll need to break it in and make sure you have a handle on the "zero" of the scope or sights. Once you break it in and get good groups you'll be ready to dispatch varmints with wild, gleeful, air gun abandon.....:rofl:

15. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

They might be, but they also have a lot more range and are against the law to fire in the city limits, while a pellet gun is not in most cases. You'll have to check your local ordinances. I have a narrowly defined firing lane that my pests must enter for me to be able to safely dispatch them. I'm sure others must consider these circumstances too. I'd love to open the kitchen window and drop Starlings with a 410 or .22, but that aint happening in my 1-2 acre lot neighborhood....

16. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I'm much less worried about shooting ground hogs with a pellet gun than I am a real gun with a supressor.

17. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

50 Yards is going to require some serious energy at the muzzle. You have to have enough energy at the point of impact to affect the kill. You're going to need 15ftlbs at the point of impact for groundhog. That means you have to go bigger up front. 30ftlbs out of the muzzle type guns.

See if you can stalk him buy flagging his holes and setting up a blind closer to the entrances. He'll pop his head up to sniff a bit and because you flagged the holes you'll see him faster. If you hit him you may need a shovel to dig him out, but at least you got him....

18. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Did you eat what you killed?

19. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I don't think he wants to take the chance of loosing his guns by shooting inside city limits.

20. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I've got a Beeman that I bought several years ago. According to the siding on my neighbor's garage, it's about as powerful as a .22
    :whistling: