close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pearl Harbor ~ December 7, 1941

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Kasinefect

Kasinefect

I used to work for a man who still held a grudge against the Japanese. During the war, a kamikaze plane tried to dive into his destroyer.

I sure caught hell when I came to work in that new Mazda.

2. RGbiker

RGbiker

My Dad fought in WWII against the Germans. Got really pissed when he saw my BMW motorcycle and my VW beetle.

My Uncle was a B29 crew chief in the Pacific during WWII.
    He also got really pissed when he saw my Datsun 280Z (Nisson)....but as a gearhead he did admire German technology.

Told them both, my money, my choice in quality transportation.

3. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

thats how history works..the more time that passes and the more people that were involved that die..the less it matters to the present..no one observes the battle of the sommes,the battle of chancelloresville, or the battle of Thermopylae.. all of whitch had greater death tolls then pearl harbor.

4. clancy

clancy

Romanians and Hungarians, too. Come to think of it, there were Danes, Poles, Russians and French who fought for the Germans, too. Should we hate all of them, too?

5. clancy

clancy

I don't know about that. I bet Grey Rider goes into mourning every anniversary of the Battle of Chancellorsville.

6. coqui33

coqui33 NRA Instructor

And the Spanish. Don't forget the Blue Legion.

7. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

I posted these remarks on another forum, and they're appropriate here as well as we remember the sacrifices of our veterans:

Ten years ago I arrived at Atlanta’s Hartsfield InternationalAirport for a flight home. I got therevery early, and found a vacant gate to sit and wait. Soon, an older gentlemanarrived and took a seat near me. Being my usual friendly self, I said “hello”and asked him where he was coming from and going to. I’ll never forget hisresponse, which was, “Hawaii, a sad place, a very sad place.” I sure didn’texpect to hear that about Hawaii. Then I looked closely at his legion cap, andstitched on it was “Pearl Harbor Survivors Association” and, oh wow, “U.S.S.Arizona.”

I was thunderstruck, completely frozen. What those eyes had seenand those ears had heard. I still can’t think about this without getting chokedup. Looking back, I believe I was sitting next to Don Stratton, one of the fewto make it off the Arizona alive.

My mother grew up in occupied Europe during the war, only to be“liberated” by Soviet troops. Happily, the family got the hell out, and wasadmitted to the USA where, years later, I was born. And I’m here, and we’rehere, because of men like Don Stratton, and countless other veterans whosacrificed that we may be free. THANK YOU EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!

8. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

and what do you guys drive..mule carts,because every american made car has foreign parts on or in it,,ford owns part of mazda.

im sure the computer or phone your useing to post on this site has some chip made or designed in japan..

9. ken grant

ken grant

TO EACH HIS OWN

What used to be the American way in the past.

Now being P.C. is the norm

10. RedTop

RedTop

I was like you until I was stationed in Japan for two years. They're good people. They also paid a severe price for attacking us... I say we're even.

11. G26AZ

G26AZ

I lived and worked in Japan for 6 years. Every August, they have ceremonies at Hiroshima and Nagaskai. They protest too - but they don't protest against America for dropping the atomic bombs on them - they protest nuclear weapons in general.

The idea of hate everything Japanese because of Pearl Harbor - you gotta remember that most Japanese people had no choice in the matter - their government and military leaders made the decision for them. Its similair to our involvement in the Vietnam War - the decision wasn't made by the people, the POTUS decided to send troops there - how popular was that? Should the Vietnamese people hate YOU because your dad or uncle fought in Vietnam? Vietnam NEVER attacked the USA. Perhaps you also believe that all African-Americans deserve to be paidoff because thier ancestors were slaves? If you're never going to forgive people for past mistakes (and most of my Japanese friends feel that WWII was a huge mistake) then how far back in history do you go? "I'm never going to buy a Wilson CQB because they are made in Arkansas and my great - great cousin's uncle was killed at Gettysburg by them damn southerners!" sounds a little silly, right? I mean heck, England attacked us twice and we still sided with them in WWI and WWII. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

And before you claim that I'm a PC, left-wing, tree-hugging apologist, let me say that I feel that we were completely in the right in using the atomic bombs against Japan, and I told my friends there the same thing. I just feel that at somepoint in our lives we have to forgive and move on . . .

12. ken grant

ken grant

I never read anywhere in this thread the word HATE used by anyone except for the ones who pointed out that I was wrong to feel the way I do.

There is a very large difference between "don't like" and "hate"

Heck, I am a Southern REDNECK who doesn't like Yankees but I don't hate them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  13. clancy

clancy

Dude, he is 11! What would you expect a Master's Thesis? Just joking around one time I told a kid his age WW2 started when the Swiss Navy attacked the Confederacy right before the American Revolution. He nodded his head and said he learned all that in school.

14. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Well if you go back far enough it was all Abel's fault for sucking up to dad.

15. bunk22

bunk22

Well it's the net, it came across as the reason Japan attacked us was an oil embargo...brought on by Japanese acts of war and aggression. Wasn't my attention to bash an 11 year old though I normally reason and communicate at the 8th grade level :supergrin: My poor daughter, 14 years old has to endure her dad's love of history and constant correcting her teacher lol

16. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Damn Swiss Navy! :rant:Helping England during the American Revolutionary War should never be forgotten!
    As we all know, Admiral Santa Anna's decisive naval victory (under the Swiss Navy flag) at the Alamo led to the signing of the Armistice at the 38th Parallel dividing North America in two along the Mississippi River.
    West of the Mississippi became Mexican territory after Mexico's defeat of England during The Crimean War setting up the purchase of this land by U.S. President Grant known as the Louisiana Purchase. Since Alaska was considered a waste land, Mexico included it for "future considerations".

Yes, I love history! :supergrin: