close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PC Pitstop Optimize, is it good, or is it not?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Thirties, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Thirties

Thirties
    Expand Collapse

This software tinkers with the registry, etc. Is it safe and good, or is it not?

Laptop WinXP-3.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham
    Expand Collapse
    Footlong Jr.

My 2 cents on things like that is that the more stuff you put on your system the more you encumber your system.

They add more crap to the registry, they add more crap to the hard drive and 90% of the time they add services that will be running in the background.

The best way to optimize XP is to do it manually.

Here are some starting points:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,5155,00.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/performance.mspx

http://winston-blog.blogspot.com/2007/03/restore-windows-xp-performance-when-you.html

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member
    CLM

I've been tweaking OSes since MS-DOS 2.11 and haven't stopped with Eks Pee. I've bought PC Pitstop and System Suite and one other I can't recall the name of. The bottom line is that none of these do anything you can't do manually, provided you know the correct tweak (such as the right registry key) and the proper syntax. IMO, Tweak Hound has the most comprehensive guide to all the same manual tweaks that these 3rd party apps offer to do for you. He sells all his complete list of tweaks (2MB MS-Word document) for five bucks, which probably is less than I paid for the shipping on any of the 3rd party apps. I count it well worth the money.

If you get it, I would suggest you skip all his memory management tweaks -- like disabling the paging executive -- except for optimizing the page file. Some of these tweaks have been around since Win9X and even worked on Win2K but reputable sources claim that XP's memory management doesn't benefit from them. They apparently don't do any harm so, worst case, there's just no return on your investment of time.

Just remember that doo-doo transpires and backups are your friend. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the most time honored of tweaks could cause your particular PC to blue screen, in which case a recent backup will be worth more to you than all the tea in China.

4. Thirties

Thirties
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all!

5. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

I optimized my PC over 7 years ago with using Linux and Mac ;)

6. d3athp3nguin

d3athp3nguin
    Expand Collapse

HA! +1 to that... Easiest way to "upgrade" a computer... put an OS on it that runs twice as fast :cool:

7. Big Al 24

Big Al 24
    Expand Collapse

8. nursetim

nursetim
    Expand Collapse

I use pitstop and I'm at 6's and 7's about it. I have live one that is nearing it's expiration date and I won't renew. I plan on using modzilla instead of IE and I run spybot S&D and a couple of adware sweepers. I'm still a little nervous about not having a program that will automatically alert me to a threat. But we shall see how it goes.