Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

PC is totally hosed up - help please!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr. Niceguy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Well, the downstairs computer, which is used by the wife & kids is apparently infected badly. The sysptoms are:

generally running like crap
    homepage has been hijacked, and cannot be changed
    can no longer access any of the anti-virus programs on the machine
    any time an attempt is made to visit an anti-virus website, the page either comes up as "cannot display", or you get totally re-directed to an irrelevant page

This is really frustrating. Can anyone help please?!?!?!?!?!?!
  2. Zonny

Apr 22, 2006
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can you run your Anti-virus program in Safe-Mode?

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Do you have another computer to download a floppy or CD based anti-virus program?

Are you savvy enough to take your hard drive out and put it into another computer as the secondary drive and scan it from the other computer?
  4. Mr. Niceguy

Apr 7, 2005
    I'll check - thanks!
  5. Mr. Niceguy

Apr 7, 2005
    yes to the first, and definitely NO to the second question!
  6. Mr. Niceguy

Apr 7, 2005
    It turns out that no, I can't.:crying::crying::crying:
  7. sdglock22

Jul 30, 2008
    Whitewood SD
    You can try going to the website of your antivirus program, ie symantec and they usually have some way to scan your computer from the site. May or may not work, worth looking into tho.
  8. Mr. Niceguy

Apr 7, 2005
    You see, here's the rub. I can pretty much access any website that I want, unless it has to do with spyware, virus, or malware removal, or a forum discussing such matters. When I try to, it either does not find the page, or it re-directs me to some random website.
  9. Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    I don't know whats its worth, but if you ctrl+alt+del into task manager and look at your processes tab, theres a list of every program that is running on your computer right now.

It may be difficult to the untrained eye, but basically, look for any processes with really messed up names that don't seem normal....or even a blank name. These are the viruses running in the background and you can manually "end process" on every one you suspect is bad, and then hopefully can run a virus scan with the potential viruses disabled. If you reboot you must re-do this process...

Go to your start bar and click on Run, in the box that pops up type in msconfig just as its displayed there, one word, msconfig

The box that pops up has many tabs on the top, select the "startup" tab and it will show you every possible program that can start with your computer, disable them all if you have to, but again LOOK for any program name that seems weird...or has no name at all. Odds are, it's a virus.
  10. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Just for grins:

Try removing from Add/Remove software anything that looks odd or any freeware crap someone might have installed.

On the good PC use a thumb drive or a CD to get a copy of CCleaner or CW Shredder from someplace like and while your add it...trying getting a copy of adaware or something like that.

Run these on the infected PC and see what they can rip out.

That might get you to the point where your antivirus might help.
  11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Save yourself a lot of useless effort and reformat and reinstall windows.
  12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
  13. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Something else to consider. Have them run under a User level account. Most people run as administrators and that gives crap-ware a real edge in infecting your machine. Least rights is what you're looking for.

At work I run as a power user on my PC. Then use Run As commands to run as an enterprise admin if needed to make things happen.
  14. SaWuttae

May 4, 2007
    "Save yourself a lot of useless effort and reformat and reinstall windows."

I second that.....a lot of the new spyware junk is really hard to completely remove, and will take much more time than reformatting. Save whatever important pictures documents you need to a thumb drive and wipe it.
  15. Drilled

Dec 2, 2006
  16. +1 What he said....

After all, you've got a backup of all essential files, right?
    I thought so!!
  17. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Mar 25, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    + Do this like now. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...
  18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Fdisk, format, reinstall
    Windows, Windows...
    (Sung to Camptown Races)
  19. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Jun 14, 2006
    I would recommend a zero fill of the hard drive and a reinstallation of Windows.

A zero fill utility is available on the hard drive manufacturers web site. Sometimes you have to search for it. This is a low level format that writes a zero to every bit (?) on the drive. This is the state that a new drive comes from the factory, and is the only way to be sure you completely wipe the drive. A high level format will not do this.

If you don't have a backup of the wife's or kid's stuff, tell them too bad. A painful lesson for them on computer security. If your wife did any banking on that computer I would change your logins and passwords.