close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pay attention!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Boxerglocker, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    A shooting acquaintance at a recent local 2 day, three gun match had a unexpected surprise during his first stage:

[​IMG]

24 plus grains of pistol powder in his .223 loads :wow:

Apparently he got sidetracked with a issue loading on his 1050 and inadvertently picked up his pistol powder and filled up the hopper.

The second AR belongs to his buddy that shares the ownership of the 1050. Same result different stage.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Lucky they ran out of guns.

3. BuffaloBo

BuffaloBo

Jun 22, 2004
    Goes to show what can happen when loading on a dillon....:whistling: :tongueout:

4. country85

country85

Jan 14, 2012
    Greentown, IN
    WOW.... Glad no one got hurt, but that's a couple thousand dollar screw up that could have killed some one and is easily preventable..

5. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Nov 1, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I would have thought with Power Pistol that a double charge would be hard to do and that the brass would have been over flowing trying to stuff that many grains. I use Varget and H335 for my .223 and 308 and I know for a fact you could not double charge without spilling powder all over the place. Anyhow, I'm very glad no one was injured. Red, Blue or Green presses one must always pay attention to the job at hand. In my years now of reloading my only mistake was a squib which I blame it on Judge Judy.....LOL
    :supergrin:

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Well 24gr of PP is not going to over flow a 223 case.:wow: Lucky is all I can say. It's not inatention, it's stupidity. What powder does he load 223 w/ that he could mistake it for PP? Why would he have both on the loading bench? The 1050 is fast enough, the reloader doesn't need to be going so fast as to do something like that during setup. Glad no one was hurt & it's just an expensive lesson learned.

7. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    This wasn't a double charge.... he loaded his usualy pistol powder, rather than rifle.

8. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    1. Keep all powder in a separate location from the loading bench. (i.e. NOT on shelves above the bench)

2. Have only one powder at a time on the bench.

3. When you go to get a bottle of powder, chant the name of that powder as you walk to the storage location. Say the name of the powder as you pick the bottle up at the storage location. Look at the label of the bottle as you walk from the storage location to the loading bench. Say the name of the powder again, and look at the label, as you set the bottle down on your loading bench.

That's how I do it anyway.

I am agitated over the new graphic designs on Alliant powder bottles. Easy to confuse red dot with Reloader 17, etc.

There ought to be an industry standard that says powder manufacturers cannot change the graphics on their products -- ever.

Glad no one was hurt during this adventure.

p.s. I really don't get why suspect ammo was continued in service after first kaboom.

9. simotek

simotek

Jul 29, 2012
    DC Area
    Maybe a check list would be a good idea.

10. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Apparently they were on opposite sides of the range starting different stages.

11. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Sounds like he used "Pistol Powder" not "Power Pistol".

I'll bet his the pistol powder he used was quite a bit faster burning than the rifle powder he was supposed to use.

Sounds like an expensive lesson to learn. Maybe less chance they will not make the same mistake again.

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    :rofl:

Good one.

13. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    northwest
    That's an oh **** moment. It'll take more than JB Weld to fix it I'm afraid.

14. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I am pretty anal too. I have pretty much they same mental process. My powders are stored in a different room away from my bench. The last thing I do before my first charge is thrown is take one final glance at the powder and one at my load data.

Glad no one was hurt in the kabooms.

15. ustate

ustate NRA Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Ouch, glad they're okay. I bet he won't make that mistake again.

16. Call me simple minded but I only have two powders that I load with right now.

Unique

Tac

I have two powder set ups with my LNL. One for each.

Both are marked with respective powders.

I have no issues.

Glad no one got hurt.

17. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Body parts are harder to replace than guns. As long as no one was permanently hurt then it was just an expensive lesson.:wow:

Makes me think I should start wearing gloves when I shoot.

18. Do you know if the rifles failed after one shot or were there multiple rounds fired before the guns gave up?

19. alank2

alank2

May 24, 2004
    Hi,

Luckily it sounds like no one got hurt. Fast pistol powders in those quantities are way high pressures!! 200kpsi ?

Thanks,

Alan

20. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    One shot..

Exactly