close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Paris Island vs. San Diego.......

Discussion in 'The US Marine Corps Forum' started by kevdog91, Dec 23, 2006.

1. kevdog91

kevdog91

Dec 31, 2005
    winston-salem,nc
    I know that we are all Marine Corps Green, but which bootcamp do you think is tougher? Paris Island or San Diego!
    I'm biased, but I have to say that the heat of Paris Island on a August afternoon has got to give the edge to Paris Island!

God Bless SDI SSgt Griffen
    :thumbsup:

2. inkslut

inkslut NRA Member

Apr 4, 2006
    San Antonio
    hmmmm, I don't remember seeing women being trained at MCRD San Diego. :tongueout:

3. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Jan 2, 2005
    Taylorsville, KY
    Cause they wanted to let y'all think you were tough. :supergrin:

4. 2952

Aug 31, 2006
    On the beach
    Definitely San Diego. Having to go back to the Quonset Huts after spending the day on the beach with surfing lessons and looking at all those California Gals in their Bikinis was almost more than most of us could take.

Semper Fi

5. MCSGT

MCSGT

Dec 16, 2005
    Ohio
    Sand Fleas eating you alive while standing at attention builds discliplne! Parris Island all the way.

6. RM

RM Millennium Member

Oct 12, 1999
    Deployed
    I will give you the sand flees suck, but manual of arms with a surf board is damn hard. Not to mention having to hump them up some hellacious mountains.

7. Kingslayer

Kingslayer My New Title

Jan 20, 2006
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    The reason they train women at P.I. is because they want them tough like the rest of us, not like you San Diego guys.

That and they put you next to the airport for a reason, it's that much cheaper to ship you home when you break.

8. inkslut

inkslut NRA Member

Apr 4, 2006
    San Antonio
    You got me there. It is very hard to break without a mountain to hump.

9. Kingslayer

Kingslayer My New Title

Jan 20, 2006
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    I don't know why, but that made me think of something funny. Well, it wasn't funny then, but it is now. It'll give you San Diego guys something to laugh at.

We were doing a Bn. run at P.I. and we were running on the road out behind the rifle range. There's basically nothing there but a sand road with swamp on both sides.

Our platoon was the 4th platoon back from the front. All of a sudden, everything just stopped. I could hear people screaming and Marines flying everywhere! Then calls to the rear for the Corpsmen in the back.

Turns out the Bn. spooked an 8 point buck and it turned and charged the Bn. out of fright. Damn thing sent 3 Marines home and 2 to the hospital.

Even our animals are mean and blood thirsty killers. What do you have on MCRDSD? A bunch of damn bunny rabbits. I've been there, I've seen the bunny rabbits...

10. TMG

TMG

Apr 13, 2004
    Utah
    Dont they call it "Paradise Island" for a reason??
    With a name like that, it couldn't be as tough as SD....

Oh, and we had "Mount' Mother F-r'" doesn't that count for anything??..lol

E

11. Kingslayer

Kingslayer My New Title

Jan 20, 2006
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Not really.

Especially considering you guys don't have Mt. Mother****er, Camp Pendleton does. You guys have to go elsewhere for any type of training above basic drill.

We never leave the island.

And you can't tell me how much harder boot camp is when the base is covered with cuddly little rabbits. WTF is that?

12. blubottlemax

blubottlemax

Jul 26, 2005
    Seattle, Wa
    I don't know what the split up is now, but we spent 5 weeks at MCRD San Diego, 4 weeks at Camp Pendleton, and then back to MCRD for 4 weeks. Transportation consisted of busses with your head down in your lap the whole time, no looking outside, and you better not fall asleep! So yes, bootcamp did include Mt. Mother$%cker. I went from July to August, it got up over 100 a few times, and stayed in the high 90's plenty. I got heat exhaustion once after an assault course, ended up drinking 8 canteens of water straight after that. Get caught looking at the ocean? Yeah, I only did that once, that was enough thank you very much. MCT was a return to Camp Pendleton, only this time we got to deal with waking up covered in ice every morning, and more of those lovely California mountains. Either way, I'm sure we all went through our extremes and challenges. Each coast has something different to offer, I say it comes out a wash.

BTW, I think the DI's secretly love the Airport at San Diego. They would wait until the moment when one was taking off to shout an order, and then watch us look on in helpless confusion trying to figure out what to do... back to the pit... :banana:

13. kevdog91

kevdog91

Dec 31, 2005
    winston-salem,nc
    it got up over 100 a few times:laughabove:
    Yeah but it was a dry heat.:tongueout:

14. Kingslayer

Kingslayer My New Title

Jan 20, 2006
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    All the crazy Marines come from P.I. It's the damn sand fleas. After a while, they make people snap. They almost made quite a few of us snap. The D.I.s will leave you standing there just to watch the sand fleas bite you.

15. squeakr

squeakr

Jan 31, 2005
    I always loved these discussions because no one knows the truth until you have experienced both (I actually know one guy who went through both, but that is another story) and all he would say is that each has it's own killer aspects, and that the second time through is a whole different experience as you already know all of the tricks and mind games that are going to be played on you (and he had a father who was a SDI at PI too).
    He did say that one of the hardest things is all of the planes and the change of location, as it makes it so tempting. He said at PI you were there for the duration, saw nothing but the island and accepted this. At SD everyday you would see either the airport, I5, or some other distraction that said that there was still another world out there and it would be so easy to just jump the fence and go. He said the temptation alone was such a killer.
    I went to SD, and yes we had no sand fleas, but we did have rattle snakes, brown recluse, and black widows (none of which were fun when they tried to get into sleeping bags with you. When I went we did both Mt. MF'r and the Grim Reaper (and a third that was less impressionable but had a bad name the less). Do they still do all of them??? We also had to do our own laundry nd service week, which my buddy told me they didn't do at PI (things may have changed since then, but that was true at that time).

Semper FI

Also try to be named Dan Dailey (different spelling, but mattered not to the DI's when you go to boot) and see if it really matters where you go to boot at as it will suck wherever. I know the hard way (but it pays off at the Ball as everyone wants to buy the Marine Dan Dailey a drink, just don't drive there and plan on driving home.:thumbsup:

16. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover

gotta say, PI got to be kind of comfortable after awhile. I liked knowing all those sand fleas and gators were there to talk to me when I was lonely...gee I miss it there:crying:

17. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    When I went through PI, a recruit doing the A-line shooting during BWT got a little stupid with the muzzle of his M16A2 and flinged off two rounds towards Hilton Head. If anyone remembers that range, on a semi-clear day (I went over the winter), you could just barely make out Hilton Head across the bay. As quick as the instructors jumped on him, his head hit the ground before the bullets did. :supergrin:

18. digitspaw

digitspaw RIP 08/95~09/09

D.I.? Did you just call your drill instructor a "D.I."?:drillsgt:

"Everybody drop and give me 50, ladies".

19. digitspaw

digitspaw RIP 08/95~09/09

I entered Boot Camp in Dec of 1968 in San Diego. Man, that airport sure looked tempting at times from the obstacle course and the south 40 run.

I still occasionally return to MCRD on a Friday to watch the recruit graduation pass and review on the grinder.

I get a lump in my throat and teary eyed with pride.

I gotta say, I hated it from the time I hit the yellow footprints until I was discharged, but I wouldn't trade the experiences for a million dollars. No freakin' way. The Marines made me what I am today and taught me comraderie and integrity and how to 'get 'er done'.

I didn't hate everything, but it was a VERY unpopular time to be a Marine. While on liberty in San Diego, you could expect to be yelled at, disparaged, spit on, or beat up by civilians.

It just plain sucked. It was also the height of the period when short hair styles were ridiculed. EVERYONE knew you were a Marine.

I should clarify something. There was NO liberty during boot camp. My unit (1st ANGLICO) moved from Kaneohe Bay, HI. to MCRD in May of 1971.

Man, do I have some great stories about our salty field tactical unit coming home to roost at the spit and polish world of MCRD!:rofl:

Paw:wavey:

20. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

Dec 5, 2004
    Cherry Point NC

LMAO

bet that was some GREAT times.... lol