close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

para ordnance nite hawg BIG problem

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by devin21, Nov 3, 2010.

1. devin21

devin21

Nov 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey guys here is a video I made last night of my nite hawg firing without depressing the grip safety. Have any of you guys heard of this issue? I apoligize in advance for my video quality I'm using a canon rebel t2i which is great for pics, not so great on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIJ5syBlASY

2. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    Are you the original owner or was this pistol bought used? The arm on the GS could have broke or someone took a little too much off when adjusting for a more "sensitive" grip.

3. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

Jun 3, 2002
    Florida
    That hammer isn't pushing back the beaver-tails' part of the safety, is it?

Anyway, good luck with them. My brother and I bought a new PO 1911 from them back in the 1990's, and we gave up after sending the pistol to them twice to make it shoot reliably.

I am very surprised that they are still in business.

4. devin21

devin21

Nov 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I am the original owner and no the hammer isnt pushing back the grips safety. I just talked to both mike and chris in customer service and they asked me to ship it in on my dime and they will look at it and either repair or replace it.

5. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    That is customer service for ya.....I am sure they will ship it back to you on your dime, as well. You are looking a $100 in shipping fees for a simple fix. Take it to a local smith....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Feb 24, 2007
    Sumter, S.C.
    Most likely the tab that blocks the trigger bar is slightly out of adjustment. When I replaced the one in my Norico 1911 with a Pachmeyer grip safety it would do the same thing. I had taken it to a gunsmith in town to install, but he said he was too busy to get to it for a while, showed me his bench and said this is how you do it, and let me do the fitting with his tools. Never believe that drop in really means drop in with 1911s. Well, I had to take it back out, and gently persuade the tab down a bit to make it block the trigger bar. Also, it looks like the spring pressure on yours maybe a little on the light side. The spring tension (sear spring) may need to be adjusted as well or maybe the problem as well. Just the part that pushes the grip safety out. Which I had to do as well, that was simple. Just a lil extra tweek to give it a lil more force pushing the grip safety out when not gripped. It should be an easy fix for them to do, just sucks they are making you pay to get it to them.

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Couldn't tell, but was that the factory trigger in it?

8. devin21

devin21

Nov 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes it is the factory trigger

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    The tang/arm on the grip safety isn't blocking the trigger. I would strip the gun down to see if its too short, or if the relief clearance is too high. You could peen it a little to lengthen the arm.

10. +1 on this.

11. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Feb 24, 2007
    Sumter, S.C.
    That is what I was trying to say with my bad terminology, thanks.

12. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Chesapeake, Va
    Best advice. If you can't get them to cover shipping, you're better off getting a local guy to fix it. Really, I'd just get a new grip safety and have it fitted (as much as it needs to be - which probably isn't much). I've put a Wilson Combat beavertail in a P13.45 and all it required was just a few minutes of fitting (yeah, that was a drop-in part too). You can also get Para-Ord replacement parts from Brownells. Costs about $40. Add about $25 for a gunsmith install and you're back in business. Sucks that you can get them to stand behind their product.

How long have you had the gun and how much shooting has it seen (about)?

13. Sarge43

Sarge43

Aug 22, 2010
    Kansas
    I've always wanted a warthog, but there is enough stuff like this out there with Para's that I've never taken it past "want" and made it "own". This is just another nail in that coffin.
    I hope you get it figured out!
    Good luck,
    Sarge

14. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Chesapeake, Va
    Well, the situation may be improving. Since Para's move to the states, they've put George Wedge in charge and he recognizes that there are (many) QC problems that need addressing. I'd like to see this improve. I have 3 Paras and they're decent, but nothing to write home about. Two I purchased new and a third was LN for the price of a RIA. The two high capacity guns both has problems that were solved with a new Wolff recoil spring and mag springs. The other was a single stack that has been satisfactory.

15. devin21

devin21

Nov 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey guys just got off the phone with para and they didnt exactly tell me what the problem was but they are sending me a new nite hawg

16. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    they probably didn't know what the problem was either :whistling:

17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

Sell it before you put any rounds through it. :whistling:

18. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :agree:

Para pretty much sucks.

19. :agree:

20. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog

Oct 28, 2009
    So let me get this straight....

Para has a problem with grip safety...

Customer contacts para

Para sends NEW gun to customer....

and following responses by members are to not shoot it and sell it because "Para pretty much sucks"

Interesting....

I have had problems with para firearms and their CS was seriously lacking... but if they sent me back a new gun that would renew my faith in the company i would think.

To the Original Poster... Make your own decision's and don't let brand hate persuade you otherwise.