close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Panko anyone?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by AnalogKid, Feb 21, 2008.

1. AnalogKid

AnalogKid
    Expand Collapse

Anyone ever try Panko bread crumbs? I just tried them on frying some chicken fingers and they turned out great! So easy I just sliced chicken breast lengthwise then dipped the pieces in flour, egg, then the Panko crumbs then fried in a cast iron skillet. Turned out just like a picture in a magazine! What are your recipes?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia
    Expand Collapse

I use panko all the time. I even skip the flour and just dip the cutlets in egg and then the panko. I use it on pork cutlets, veal and chicken. The trick is to pound the meat out thin, bread the cutlet and saute immediately in a hot mixture of olive oil and butter. No sauce is necessary. It should also work for shrimp and scallops.

3. Glockerel

Glockerel
    Expand Collapse
    Got Mojo?

I use them all the time. I'm a chef. I get a 25# bag for like $17! Last time I saw them in the grocery store they were like $2.99 for 10 ounces.
    They are great for breading, but I also use them for a binder in meatloaf and meatballs, aa a topping for casseroles; I also toast them in garlic and butter until brown and top fresh pasta with them.

4. MB-G26

MB-G26
    Expand Collapse
    Bk2MiscResource
    Lifetime Member

I tried finding Panko bread crumbs a while back, needing them for one of Alton Brown's foodnetwork recipes. Never did find any - even in the 'ethnic' sections (aka Oriental, etc., specific items). Major chains here are Safeway and Albertsons, and Fry's, local chain is Bashas (the older stores are more of a glorified Circle K than anything).

Any online sources for low or reasonable price for these w/decent shipping charges?

5. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

I found a large bag (Roland) at Big! Lots for $2.50

6. MB-G26

MB-G26
    Expand Collapse
    Bk2MiscResource
    Lifetime Member

I thought I'd look at amazon.com just for the heck of it. Found a nice looking product, less than $3 per bag but outragous shipping cost by comparison. Phoey.

I wonder how these turn out:
    http://www.recipezaar.com/167729
    How/what to season them with, herb-wise or otherwise?

7. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

Was in a Big! Lots the other day and they had Progresso Italian seasoned panko for not too much.

8. Black Bart

Black Bart
    Expand Collapse

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Love panko!