close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Pack Liners...

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lampshade, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Lampshade

Lampshade

May 11, 2010
    Any recommendations for a pack liner?

I'd like something to help ensure that my BoB contents stay dry.

Thanks.

2. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    There are lots of dry bags available. Put you stuff in them and then the dry bags in your packpack.

Another option is put everything in heavy duty ziplock bags.

3. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

Jul 16, 2010
    Another option:
    - use a waterproof pack (or bag) for your BoB.
    - if the outer shell is "completely waterproof" you don't need to waterproof the inner shells.

[​IMG]

http://www.rei.com/category/4501503

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Jan 27, 2001
    Clarksville, TN
    Trash bag.....thousands and thousands of Boy Scouts can't be wrong.

5. I would submit that you maybe have never been in the poop if you think a 100% water proof outer bag is the answer.. or even achievable.

Decades of living outdoors in every imaginable condition has taught me no such thing exists. I use the heavy duty ziplocks, inside of a larger heavy duty ziplock, inside of a "water proof" pack. Any boy scout can tell you "a pack is a large bag for holding small bags" they will also tell you to be preppared and that redundancies are good.

BTW, those "dry bags" you show, which are for canoeing and such, are not really all that "dry", drier than no bag, yes, but they can, will, and do leak. And I can tell you they don't do diddly vs desert dust/talc.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. DrSticky

DrSticky

Nov 28, 2005
    Houston
    +1 bags in bags. You should always listen to your sergeants.

Inside of my ruck, I keep a waterproof bag. Inside of it, I have quart size ziplocs with a t-shirt, socks and underpants. I have other ziplocs for other gear organized into categories. Dirty clothes go in a standard green laundry bag outside of the waterproof bag. Also outside of the waterproof bag is a trashbag with my sleep system.

This system works pretty well, because if you have to open the ruck and or the waterproof bag to get something to don't get everything wet or dusty. I keep the poncho in the lid so I can turtle the ruck or create a quick lean-to.

7. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    NC USA
    I agree with the zip-lock bags and have used them successfully for years.

garyo

8. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    One that I always thought was really good for what it is, is the military OD green ones. The ones that rubber lined on the inside. In the Marine Corps, we even use them as flotation devices.

9. DrSticky

DrSticky

Nov 28, 2005
    Houston
    I went through training on using two packs, two rifles and two ponchos to create a float to traverse a river. Those MILSpec waterproof bags helped with that. I would think the SeaLine style bags might work as well in that capacity.

10. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
  11. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    +1 or better still get Trash Compactor bags. Perfect size, and they are a little more durable than a standard trash bag.

In all my years of camping, hiking and in the military I have yet to see a standard backpack that is 100% waterproof.

I may use a drybag for a few items, but that is it. Getting those individual dry bags for everything adds ounces. More Ounces equals Pounds, and more pounds in your pack equals pain.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. Kieller

Kieller

May 18, 2007
    Kansas City
    I always ziploc my items in the pack and I have a pack cover in case it rains. Putting items in bags also helps to segregate your pack a little better and keep items together.

"water-proof" is an illusion.

I have one of the bags Mr.Clean posted and it does well on the river.

13. Chindo18Z

Chindo18Z

Apr 17, 2010
    This. I've used the .mil bags for decades and never found anything better. More expensive or lighter...yes. Better...no.