close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

PA VA ccw question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Zeebra724, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    I moved to PA from VA about a year ago. I have a VA resident ccw license that expires in 4 years. I recently got my PA resident ccw license that is good for 5 years.

I'm traveling to SC tomorrow and they only accept mt VA RESIDENT ccw license. My question is: Even though I have a valid VA resident ccw license, is it still seen as one since I'm not a resident of PA with a PA resident ccw license.

I'll probably just lock my G17 away in the car to be safe when I travel down to SC tomorrow...but I'd like to know the deal with my VA ccw license. I've looked on all kinds of www and can't find an answer...thanks--sorry if it's a stupid question!

Thanks!

2. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    I would think not as you are not a resident of VA and therefore do not have a valid resident VA license. Even though it hasn't expired that doesn't mean it is valid.
    Check out:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
    SC law clearly states that you must reside in a state they honor.

Of course I'm not an attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night but this is my take on the situation.

3. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    They only recognize your license if it's from your home state. Since they do not appear to recognize PAs permit and you are a resident of PA then your VA permit means nothing. However I would suggest looking at the part regarding car carry in SC as it is legal so you could at least keep your gun loaded in your vehicle.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

4. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    Sounds good...thanks guys! Should I even keep my VA ccw on me anymore? If nothing else, it can show LE that I have been approved by another state if anything should ever come up...

5. If you are carrying a "valid" Va driver's license your Va CHP is valid until it expires. Do you still have your Va license?

6. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    Nope--had to get a PA drivers license and the VA dl had to be handed in...so I guess I have a souvenir now of my time in VA, cause I don't think it can just automatically switch over from a resident ccw license to an out-of-state VA ccw license...

7. Virginia doesn't issue any CCW permits. They are CHP's (Concealed Handgun Permit). There's quite a difference so this is not nitpicking.

8. RPVG

RPVG

Oct 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Interesting. What is the difference?

9. CCW means Carry a Concealed Weapon whereas CHP means Concealed Handgun Permit. Our CHP specifically addresses the carrying of a handgun (concealed) whereas a CCW speaks to the term "weapon".

However, in general parlance, CCW is used as a generic term to cover a wide variety of carry permit/license types. So in common practice, CCW is generic whereas CHP is specific. But there is a real difference between the two terms.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  10. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    That's interesting because Ohio issues a CCW but it only covers firearms (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf).
    So does Indiana (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf)

The only term I have seen really make a difference is a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) vs CCW/CHP. The difference is the HCP allows carry of a handgun either concealed or open whereas a CCW/CHP indicates only concealed carry. For example TN requires a permit to carry either way while Ohio has constitutional OC but permit required CC.

11. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    I have a PTCACH (permit to carry a concealed handgun) :tongueout:

12. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Ohio issues a CHL and Indiana issues a "license to carry a handgun"

13. In Virginia the normal, read that as default or standard, mode of carry, is openly visible, whereas one must request permission from our employees to carry concealed. Since open carry is not addressed, it is therefore the norm and legal mode of carry. No permit required.

Virginia's concealed carry permit only addresses handguns.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  14. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    I guess I should have read a little further. Either way I think we are splitting hairs on the terminology.

15. Too bad you are not gov or other exempt person who could have kept the va permit. That sucks.

16. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    Call VA State Police and ask. I know someone who moved out of VA, and they told him his VA permit was still valid until it expired.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    The permit probably just switches from being a resident to a non-resident permit.

However, the real issue is if he's carrying in SC on his VA "Resident" permit it will very likely be treated as a Non-Res permit because his ID has a PA address.

To me, this seems pretty black and white.. don't carry there.

IGF

18. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    True. Does SC issue non res permits? That would be the way to go if it's a big enough concern.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. tacticalG23

tacticalG23 Darkside Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Just to add to the list, PA issues Liscense To Carry Firearms, LTCF.

20. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Vermont does NOT issue CCW permits, for anyone over 21 and a non-convicted felon (or domestic violence) can CCW.