close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

PA state police stop using OC spray

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Snowman92D, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jbglock

jbglock

Aug 18, 2012
    Tase or sprayed I have always thought it was stupid. I carry a baton but didn't have to get beat with it. I carry a Glock and didn't have to get shot with it. I charge people with possession of marijuana and cocaine and it wasn't a requirement that I get high on weed or smoke crack. I charge dui but wasn't required to drive around drunk. I'm all for beating one down when required and have a low level of tolerance for BS on the job but this talk of recruits needing to "man up" is outright stupid IMO. I don't even believe in spray. If that is required then a tasing or good old fashioned *** whipping will do.

2. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I've been hit with a baton numerous times in training. They don't always get the bag. I've been exposed to OC in the field every time its been deployed, including a couple of pretty good blasts. I've been shocked by Taser through the wires three times on the street, including one time where I received full NMI effect. We also were required to box each other in the academy...not to learn how to throw punches, but to feel what it was like to get hit in the face (in case you'd never been there before).

Exposure is a GOOD idea for several reasons:

It makes the officer aware of the effects of the tool, which provides some stress inoculation in the event of an exposure in the field.

It also tells the officer how their body will likely react in the field.

It gives them the knowledge to justify an escalation of force when exposed to something, or when a less lethal weapon is taken/attempted to be taken away from them by a bad guy.

It gives the officer credibility when testifying in a civil suit involving use of force.

Having been through a 1983 suit from a Taser deployment, I can tell you without reservation that having been exposed to Taser in training made me much more comfortable and competent at testifying in depositions. The plaintiffs attorney was not prepared for my answer to "can you describe the effects?", which was "it was the absolute worst experience in my life, until it was off, and then I was fine." We won a summary judgment.

3. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    Most of the PA Troopers I've met were pretty tough men. Hard edged more then most.

4. Hmmm...perhaps our resident PASP recruit will chime in with some more info.

5. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania

... or make arrests for vehicle code violations or enforce speed laws on limited access highways within my own GD jurisdiction. :steamed:

Or buy as much, or little, beer as I want/need at a supermarket AND use the same checkout line as I would to buy the rest of my groceries.....

I. Hate. Pennsylvania.

I know, I know..... I complain to much. My apologies to all.

6. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Its okay, you can become a buckeye. :wavey:

7. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    I hate OC with a passion, been exposed 3 times. I don't carry it for the simple reason I don't want it anywhere near me when it goes off

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

8. RF7126

RF7126

Sep 19, 2003
    Western Florida
    I was beginning to think it was just us! I couldn't see anything but a big blur for 30 minutes, and that was after I could open my eyes....

9. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I am here now. I just got home from the academy an hour ago for another three day weekend. I LOLd when I saw this thread. I had no idea they did a news article on what happened.

It was indeed my class that was effected. There is an ongoing investigation, so I cannot divulge specifics. Basically, more than 1/3 of our class got a huge percentage of their cornia bunred, and abrasions over most of the entire eye. Some people got their entire eye jacked up. My one buddy's eye looked like raw hamburger for 2 weeks afterwards. Some people's vision still is not back to what it was, almost a month later. I got lucky and only had one visit to the eye doctor. Some guys had to go back 10-12 times for follow ups.

Testing was done on the OC and everything was pulled from all troopers' belts. It was determined to be a bad batch of spray. There was another municipal class at another training location that was hit as well a week before us with the same stuff. 12 of the 14 of them ended up in the ER after being sprayed. I have been sprayed before and was fine in 20 minutes. I knew it was not normal seeing how everybody was still reacting to it the following day.

I have to admit that I am about as tough as they come, and it was one of the worst things to ever happen to me. Not knowing if my vision would ever return to normal was a scary feeling. Some guys might end up needing a corrective procedure because of it.

10. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Ouch! Glad to know you came out of it all right, though!