close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

P229

Discussion in 'The Sig Sauer Club' started by Scamp, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Scamp

Scamp Geaux Tigers!

May 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Any advice / info on the P229? Thinking about picking up a used one here locally and was wondering what to look for. Are they very reliable? Any known problems? Value of a used one?

2. camaro_dave

camaro_dave

Feb 25, 2007
    UTAH
    sig p229 SAS is what i carried for about a year. being a bulky gun i still loved carrying it. never had any issues. didnt like shooting it at first. the rail sat higher than i was used to and the angle was a bit odd. but i got used to it.
    go for it. you wont regret it

3. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

Aug 2, 2009
    South Florida
    I agree with the weight issue, but I thought the extra weight made it a great shooter. Still have mine and would not ever get rid of it.

4. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    Great guns very reliable. Only thing better in that size is a p228

5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

They're most likely reliable since the United States Secret Service and Air Marshalls carry them.

The Navy SEALs carry its big brother, the P226.

6. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Unless you want it in .357 Sig or .40 S&W like this one. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    My P229r was bought brand new last yr and the frame rail on the left side has a gouge down to the bare metal, and now the right side is starting to form one too.

Gun shoots fantastic despite that but I would have gotten a Glock had I known about the wear issue... disappointing for an $864 gun that only comes with one mag.

8. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    I go to the range once a month and fire about 50 - 100 shots for the Sig, less now that ammo prices have risen.

9. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

There was a period of time where Sig left burrs on the slide causing the condition you describe.

Some of the Sig pistolsmiths recommend checking for burrs and, as always, use grease (Slide Glide is my favorite) on the slide rails.

10. My dept has carried them for the past 13 years. The first set we had for ten years and the only failure was one officer bent the slide release (Don't know how) about three years ago we traded in the orginal for new ones with rails and night sights and we have not had a single issue with the new ones. (There are 33 guys on my dept all carry the sig 229 on duty).

11. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

The children should understand that the Swiss and German arms of Sig have been making combat weapons long before Gaston was even making plastic shower curtain rings. :supergrin:

12. bigdollars

bigdollars

Oct 16, 2007
    Massachusetts

boo-ya u tell em cobra:number1::highfive::perfect10::elephant::bluesbrothers:

13. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the info! Wish I had used the grease sooner.

14. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

15. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
  16. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    SIG recomends the use of TW-25B on their pistols..
    They are a bit top heavy but that's the extra weight of the stainless slide as compaired to the P228s carbon steel slide..
    Also every SIG I ever saw came with "TWO" magazines or three on LEO pistols..
    There great guns & the TW-25B realy smooths the trigger bar, hammer & slide..
    And yes SIG came up with the design of the modified Browning breach block that Glock now uses as well on the P220..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  17. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    For a while I think SIG was selling their guns with only a single mag...I read this on other forums too.

Maybe SIG switched back to giving more mags.

Either way if I could do it all over again I would have gotten a Glock 19 or something similar.

Oh well....

18. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    My P229 also came with no gun grease on the rails, only lube.

I also read the owner's manual front to back and cannot recall SIG ever advising that I use gun grease on the rails, instead of just lube.

Also, my friend has a 100% German made SIG and the rails are PERFECT....no gouges in the rails whatsoever, not even a single scratch.

Unlike my P229.....where part of it is made in Exeter New Hampshire and the other part in Germany.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  19. PAPACHUCK

PAPACHUCK

May 24, 2006
    Who Dat Nation
    My P229R in 9mm is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. Period. For me, that is. I've owned it for a few years now and it hasn't done anything but run perfectly. My vote is..............................

GIT-U-1.

pat701 likes this.